Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larenatc

Newbie: Brandywines in hot climate

larenatc
15 years ago

I am a newbie and was planning on trying Brandywine tomatoes. I am going to start them indoors by seed. If I successfully get to the point of transplantation, will the heat of a coastal South Carolina summer affect the plants? Do you have any suggestions of other kinds that may work better if so?

They will be planted in a raised bed, 1/2 topsoil 1/2 organic material.

Thanks for any help that comes my way.

Comments (5)

• Macmex
    15 years ago

Howdy,

I have not grown Brandywine. But I understand from others' reports, that it is not a particularly good one for heat. A somewhat earlier variety, with similar fruit characteristics is available. It's commonly called Prudens Purple. I grow a tomato, which some have claimed is the same thing. I received my seed back in 1984 under the name of Prudence Purple. the only time I grew out someone else's Prudens Purple, it wasn't quite the same. But then, the differences might have been due to crossing. I don't know. Prudens Purple would probably do well for you. I'm pretty sure Prudence Purple (my tomato) would. It does well here in Oklahoma, where it is hot.

I'll also mention that Sioux is a great tomato for heat. I've grown it two summers now. It's a good main crop tomato: good for slicing or cooking. Super Sioux should also be excellent. I understand it's a selection out of Sioux.

So, hope this helps. You could also try dropping in on the tomato growing forum. Some folks there grow A LOT of tomatoes and some are bound to be from hot humid areas like your own. They'll surely have some good suggestions.

I wouldn't recommend that you depend solely on Brandywine. It might produce for you. But in light of what I've heard of it, I'd recommend that you at least grow one other tomato, one with a proven track record for heat and humidity.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• fusion_power
    15 years ago

Coastal SC has to get Brandywine in the ground very very early. I normally recommend from the 1st of March to the 20th depending on how far up the coast from Georgia. If you start seed now, your seedlings will be barely large enough in time. Get em growin!

DarJones

• larenatc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your replies. Seeds are starting tonight for the Brandywines. I have written down the two other varieties and have begun my hunt for them. Thanks again.

• francescod
    15 years ago

For what its worth, I sow my tomatoes in early March and they are just perfect size for planting-about 12 inches tall in a 2.5 inch pot at our planting time which is Mother's day. They would probably be even bigger if I potted them up into a larger pot a couple of weeks earlier, just don't have the time and smaller pots are easier to plant. Most tomatoes don't produce fruit well when the temperatures are over 90-95ºF-they can't pollinate and the flowers fall off. Getting them in the ground as early as possible for your area is the best strategy for getting fruit from varieties like Brandywine that take so long to produce.

Also you should try the hybrid 'Brandy Boy'. Only available from Burpee.

• mudflapper
    15 years ago

I have grown Brandywine and at least here it was one of the best tasting tomatoes I have ever eaten, but I have no idea how it would do in your neck of the woods but it never hurts to try at least one. I always plant my old stand bys and three or four new ones, strange how the number of maters in my garden keeps growing.
    Ken