Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janie44_gw

Trying to Find Double Morning Glory

JANIE44
20 years ago

I saw a picture "an old Burpee Card" of a double white morning glory - I can't remebmer the name. Can anyone help. It may be lost for all time

Thanks

Comments (10)

• carolyn137
    20 years ago

A Google search has several references to double morning glory seeds.

i didn't check them out to see if specifically a white one is available.

I seem to recall your double white from the Burpee seed catalog from the late 1800's that they had reprinted and distributed to anyone who wanted one.

I misplaced/lost mine in a recent move.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Double morning glories

• cecilia_md7a
    20 years ago

I remember seeing a drawing of double morning glories in one of the "Burpee Heirlooms" catalog that Burpee's distributed a few years ago. A paragraph of the text mentioned that the variety had apparently become extinct.

There is a morning glory from Japan named Double Blue Picotee - one of the convovulus rather than ipomoea varieties - that is currently carried by several seed companies; but it's obviously not white!

• carolyn137
    20 years ago

There is a morning glory from Japan named Double Blue Picotee - one of the convovulus rather than ipomoea varieties - that is currently carried by several seed companies; but it's obviously not white!

Yes, and sources for that one and others are in the Google link I gave above.

Oh to be able to grow what some of the older catalogs showed. Sigh.

Carolyn

• SBRanger
    19 years ago

Janie44:
    A couple of years ago I was doing some landscape work in a parking lot. I noticed a morning glory vine struggling along in a crack in the asphalt under a adjacent property's fence. A few weeks later it bloomed and at first I thought they were mutant flowers or something was wrong with them. They were double and they were pure white. I collected about a dozen seeds and I have grown a new plant from seed for three years now. They come true to type. Individually the flowers are not that impressive but from a distance the vine in full bloom is quite nice. (I like white flowers.) Except for being pure white they look like the double pink MG "Sunrise Serenade" offered in the 05 Seed Savers Exchange retail cataloge. Email me if you still want a few seeds. If you have any more info on these flowers enlighten me.
    Mark

• motherduck
    19 years ago

Mark,
    Do you have a photo of these flowers that you could post?

• SBRanger
    19 years ago

Sorry motherduck:
    No photos available. I have mailed out some seed and perhaps someone with the right equipment etc. can do that. Or, maybe some one with a copy of that old Burpee catalog can scan a description and post it. If you want some seed email me. I like veggies, alliums especially! I used to raise chickens and hope to do so again. Spare any feathers for fly tying?
    Mark.

• SBRanger
    19 years ago

Out of double morning glory seed for now. If have you contacted me as 01/29/05 and send me an address before this spring you are OK and covered. I joined Seed Saver's Echange and am reserving some seed for that. If you want to trade for some seed and you email me, then I need a Garden Web name, an address, and an offer of something unusual in return. I like heirloom veggies, edible alliums, peanuts and sweetpotatos.
    Mahalo
    Mark

• mshgtvangel
    19 years ago

you can find those double blue picotee morning glory seeds on ebay.happy gardening

• bsg1
    17 years ago

Janie, its been a while since you posted, but I got some double morning glory seeds as a trade (I wish I remember who I got them from - he called them "Buffy's Morning Glory") - well they bloomed for me this year and are beautiful. I will be taking pictures and collecting seeds which I would love to share with other GWebers as this is a beautiful plant which needs to be enjoyed and brought back into circulation.

Beth

• brendan_of_bonsai
    17 years ago

So, does anyone have a picture of the double white morning glory mentioned?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting