Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliana63

suggestions for SE MI zone 5 heirloom apples?

Juliana63
19 years ago

I am interested in Cox's Orange Pippin, Roxbury Russet, and Sops of Wine. Anyone with experience growing these? Disease problems? Keeping ability? Possible sources for trees? (I'm looking at Miller Nurseries mail-order)

Thanks!

Juliana

Comments (3)

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

Juliana,

I wonder if you might get more input if you post in the fr uit tree Forum here at GW rather than this Forum which deals primarily with heirloom plants, as the blurb at the top says.

As for Miller Nurseries, I've dealt with them a lot in the past and have absolutely nothing except praise for the stock they send.

But I've not grown the varieties you mention so can't comment.

Carolyn

• remy_gw
    19 years ago

Hi, I have Roxbury Russet on my 5 in 1 apple tree from Miller that I got awhile ago. They don't even offer the 5 in 1 anymore. Well anyway, I like the Roxbury Russets very much. I only spray with horticultural oil and insecticidal soap and have been very pleased with the minimal problems I have had. I don't know about long term storage. I would recomend Millers. They sell plants with excellent root systems.

• steeletm
    19 years ago

Try bighorsecreekfarm.com They have about 400? or so varieties including the three you mentioned. They will custom graft on a number of rootstocks. Miller and Starks have always seemed a bit pricey to me. I have thirty plus trees and have found that Ron and Suzanne Joyner at Bighorse Creek know what they are talking about and have saved literally hundreds of varieties. Though they are in North Carolina less than eighty miles from me they are on the side of a mountain (today while it was 48 here for a high they had blowing snow and wind chills around zero). Their climate is actually zone 5/6. Go to their web site at least -- it's a real education in heirloom apples.

The Fruit and Orchards forum is an excellent source of information as Carolyn suggests.

Tom