Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kahlanne_gw

Probably stupid question but

kahlanne
18 years ago

I grew up on a farm and never wanted to have a garden when I grew up. For this reason, I didn't learn near as much as I could have. Now that I want to have a fairly large garden, I am at a loss on some things. I would love to try some of the terrific looking heirloom varieties of tomatoes, beans, and melons but am unclear about planting them. I can't remember my family using anything other than what the local CO-OP sold which could have included heirlooms but I am not sure. When looking at seedsaver.com and other sites, they have great information and pictures but don't list if the seeds work in all zones. I know when planting flowers and such you have some that grow only in the warmer zones vs the colder ones. Is this true with vegetables as well? I am in Zone 8b or central Louisiana if that helps. I tried a search on heirlooms at the Louisiana/MS board but didn't come up with much. Any advice is much appreciated. Dh thinks we should stick with what is sold at local nurseries and not special order but I have always wanted to try different things. Please help me to do this the right way to not give him the chance to say, "I told you so." LOL.

Comments (2)

• kentuckyheirloomer
    18 years ago

First, let me stress that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Everybody has to start somewhere, and there is no shame in being a beginner.

Now, as per your actual question. There are very few vegetables that are unsuitable for all areas. Some, it's true, will be stressed and aren't the best choices. Brandywine tomatoes, for instance, aren't the best bet where you are. Corky beans might not be a good choice either. But in general that isn't a problem.

If you can grow a veggie type where you are, then most heirlooms of that type would be suitable. They might require a period of adjustment, though. That is, it might take two or three growing seasons for them to achieve their full potential.

What really counts are your growing conditions. You have heat and humidity contraints that many of us do not face. So that can affect what you grow, and when you grow it.

My recommendation would be twofold. First, get in contact with your nearest Extension agent. He/she is the best resource you have as to when and what to plant. Second, start small with your garden, and expand as your interest and knowledge grow. Biting off more than you can chew just leads to frustration.

I would also consider joining a seed saving organization. The two that come to mind which would serve your interests best are SSE (Seed Saver's Exchange)and AHSC (Appalachian Heirloom Seed Conservancy). You can, through both of these, get in contact with other growers from your region who have experience in what grows best under your conditions. These folks might even be able to point you directly to Louisiana heirlooms (such as the Rouge et Noir cowpea). The Southern Seed Legacy project, at the U. of Georgia, would also be a good resource.

I don't have the contact infor for the SSL, handy, but you can find it with a search. SSE can be reached at www.seedsavers.org. And you can contact AHSC at KentuckySeeds@hotmail.com.

Hope this helps.

• Miss_Mudcat
    18 years ago

Kahlanne,

KentuckyHeirloomer gave some great advise. I'd like to add to look for "AAS winners" as well. That stands for All-American Selections, which means that particular variety performed well in gardens across America.

Many seeds sold at your local CoOp are heirlooms (Open-Pollinated) that are known to perform well in your area. If you are a first time gardener, try some of these. The success you experience will give you the confidence to branch out in the coming seasons.

Don't forget to check out books on gardening, seed-starting and seed-saving at your local library.

Best Wishes and Happy Gardening!

Lisa

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting