Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trishcuit_gw

Naked seeded pumpkins

Trishcuit
12 years ago

I am going to grow Gleisdorfer Naked Seeded Pumpkin this year. Most years when we do pumpkins for Halloween my daughters want me to save the seeds for eating. What a pain, with the shell and all. So I got lazy and decided to try these. Has anyone else tried a hulless pumpkin? I understand there are better tasting pumpkins out there for flesh but is it at least acceptable tasting? I am growing two other types for eating but I would hate to waste. (like trophy hunters who take the head and leave the rest of the animal).

I was going to try Lady Godiva but Baker Creek switched it out and brought in this instead.

Comments (9)

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Of the 3 varieties I've tried ("Kakai", "Streaker Jack" and "Little Greenseed") none was good for eating baked. The shell of "Little Greenseed is too thin to be usable, and the other two were watery, stringy, and bland. I wish it were otherwise, I hate to waste things too.

• Trishcuit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess that is when it would be handy to have pigs or something like that.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Who needs pigs when you've got deer. ;-) I just throw the shells in my back tree line, they go away within a few days. Too bad my property is suburban, though... I hate to fatten them up & get nothing in return.

• Trishcuit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HAHA!! Isn't that the truth! My dad, who used to go deer hunting on a regular basis now has to sit back and watch them decimate his urban yard. Karma I wonder?
    He could keep everyone in venison for a long time otherwise. Deer makes excellent Mennonite Sausage too by the way.

• t-bird
    12 years ago

aside from the flesh - how were the seeds per variety? Were they plentiful and tasty?

When/how to harvest?

Also - nothing goes to waste in the compost pile!

• Trishcuit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am wondering the same thing.

I second that with the compost, and it is especially good that there won't be seeds left to send up renegade pumpkins next year when you spread the compost because the seeds have all been harvested for eating.

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    9 years ago

So, what was the verdict? Was Kakai the best tasting seeds?

• catherine_nm
    9 years ago

Baby Bear from Johnny's isn't completely naked, but my kids and I just eat them whole. Our local Sprouts grocery store has Baby Bears for sale now (so you can buy and try to see if it is worth planting next spring). If you don't have a Sprouts in your area, try one of the big organic food stores, they may have them, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baby Bear

• catherine_nm
    9 years ago

Haven't planted this one, but it is on my list. The description claims the flesh is sweet enough for pie.

Here is a link that might be useful: Williams Naked Seed Pumpkin.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company