Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
motherduck_gw

heirloom potatoes

motherduck
19 years ago

Does anyone know of a website that lists the different varieties of heirloom potatoes? Thanks.

Comments (13)

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

There are several companies that list heirloom potatoes but I happen to think that the best of the best is Ronniger's and I've linked to it below.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Heirloom Potatoes

• mistercross
    19 years ago

I don't know of a list specifically on heirlooms, but below is a page with a lot of links. Go about 1/3 of the way down the page to the section, "Varieties & Breeding".

Here is a link that might be useful: Oregon State

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

mister,

Interesting link but quite a few years out of date since it doesn't even list Google as an internet research tool and it refers to Ronnigers as Irish Eyes, which was a bad merger that occurred many years ago and Ronnigers has been back as Ronniger's for several years now.

I thought the poster was loking for a commercial place to buy seed potatoes where the varieties are described in detail.

At no one place would one find a listing of ALL the known heirloom potato varieties and that includes SSE which has a tremendous number listed and the Ronnigers have been the major players in that regard, along with Will Bonsall of Canada, who is the SSE Curator for potatoes.

Carolyn

• motherduck
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I basically wanted to find names and descriptions of different heirlooms. Once I find a few varieties suitable for my area I would try to find a Canadian source.
    I did find a bit of information from the Agriculture Canada website (Potato Research Centre) and of course, Seeds of Diversity.

Here is a link that might be useful: Research Centre Newsletter

• tomgyrll
    19 years ago

Try Becker's Seed Potatoes - I've had excellent experiences w them. Don't think they have a web site -- R.R. 1, Trout Creek, Ontario, P0H 2L0. Phone: 1-705-724-2305, Fax: 1-705-724-1392,
    Email: beckers@vianet.ca (catalogue reguests only)

• tomgyrll
    19 years ago

Also Early's and William Dam sell potatoes

Here is a link that might be useful: seed potato sources in Canada

• paeonut
    19 years ago

Eagle Creek Seed Potatoes has purchased the mail-order portion of Becker's Seed Potatoes. Their mail address is Box 70, Bowden AB T0M 0K0. Their website is listed below; by and large the majority of varieties listed are modern ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eagle Creek Seed Potatoes

• motherduck
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the tips everyone!

• reginak
    19 years ago

Ronniger's may be a more practical list, but if you want comprehensive try the International Potato Center in Lima. Pretty neat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Centro Internacional del Papa (in English)

• opabinia51
    19 years ago
  • tomgyrll
    19 years ago

along with Will Bonsall of Canada

typo? isn't he American - Maine?

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

The International Potato Center has over 420 listed varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: International Potato Center

• deanriowa
    16 years ago

Do not know, if they ship to US but you could look at the Irish Seed Savers Site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Irish Seed Savers