Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsvand5

Is it possible to grow watermelons in pots?

jsvand5
15 years ago

I am growing watermelons for the first time this year. I have grown tomatoes in pots for a few years and I was wondering if it is possible to grow watermelons in large pots or even the earthtainers and allow them to just grow over the side on to the ground? My soil is pretty much clay so it is much easier for me to just grow most things in pots. I will correct the soil if it's not possible to do in pots but I would prefer to go the pot route. Thanks for any info.

Also can anyone give any reviews on the varieties I chose? I went with Moon and Stars (round), Dixielee, and Klondike Blue Diamond.

Any other types that you can recommend? Maybe a seedless type? I am looking for mainly large/medium types.

Comments (4)

• denninmi
    15 years ago

Well, if the pot is large enough, it's possible to grow anything in a pot. A couple of years ago on the 'Victory Garden' tv show, they showed a public building in S. California which was growing trees about 40 feet tall in containers about the size of a large luxury SUV.

I think that you could probably do ok with watermelons in large containers, something whiskey barrel sized or larger, especially if you're consistent and careful with your watering and fertilizing. You could set up an automatic watering system with a timer and really pamper it if you wanted to, with a small fertilizer injection system as well.

I do think, though, you'd be better off with small-fruited, more compact varieties in containers -- it's just my "gut instinct" that these would adapt better to container culture than a large-fruited variety.

Dennis
    SE Michigan

• francescod
    15 years ago

I grew watermelon in a whiskey barrel sized plastic container once as an experiment. It was a small fruited type. I put two plants in the pot and I only got 4 melons or so. They might have done better if I had been better with my fertilization program. I sprinkled tomato tone on them when I fertilized my tomatoes since they where close by. The plants still took up about a 16 foot diameter space.

• mudflapper
    15 years ago

You can grow melons in pots, but it must be at least 20 gl in this case bigger is much better, I would go at least 30 to 40 yes these are big pots; but worth it.

P.S
    No seedless in pots, you would need a pollinator to get fruit set

• zebraman
    15 years ago

Hey Jsvand5; I don't know how to post a direct link on this site but you should check these out.
    http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus