Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for Fritillaria Crown Imperial

Posted by just1morehosta 5 (cscocoa@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Feb 19, 08 at 16:03

Hello every one,

I am new here,some one sent me here from WSing forum,nice people over there!

I am looking for a Fritillaria Crown Imperial,will this grow in zone 5?

Any good sources out there for me?Thank you kindly,Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for Fritillaria Crown Imperial

Yes, they'll grow very nicely in Zone 5. Two things are really important, though.

1) They MUST have very sandy, well drained soil, as the bulbs rot easily in wet soil.

2) Learned this lesson the hard way. They can be attacked by some kind of a root maggot, which destroys the bulb. I think it might be the same kind that gets into onions and root crops like radishes. At any rate, be sure to apply some type of granular insecticide a couple times a year to the bed, once in spring and once in fall. In the old days, i would say diazinon or dursban, but I think both of those are off the market now. I guess the Bayer Advanced grub control stuff would work.

Unfortunately, since they're a Dutch bulb, it's the wrong time of the year. I've actually seen the plants forced for spring sale at a garden center once, but VERY overpriced, like $20 for one plant. The bulbs are expensive, like $5 or $6 each, but not $20.00.

This is a very good place to buy them from:

http://www.vanengelen.com/

o

Thank you for that information,no wonder i can't find them now.:0)

o

A good place to buy Fritillaria and other bulbs is brentandbeckysbulbs.com Last year's fall/winter catalog had them listed at 4.00/ea. or 5/17.00 in either red, yellow or orange. I think I read somewhere that this bulb does not necessarily bloom the first year. Brandy

o

Hi-don't know if you got some, but most of the local nurseies carry them - I mail ordered mine from colorblends. Ps They don't keep well and should be planted right after you get them. falls is the correct time for planting.
Cynthia

o

Does anyone know if they will grow and bloom successfully in zone9 (North Florida)? I want to buy some to keep squarrels out of the bulbs. Also, do they need a little winter chill?
-Jason

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here