Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bentheredonethat

Illinois Heirloom Tomato Varieties

benjohnson
17 years ago

I finally have space for a small garden again and would like to try a few varieties of heirloom tomatoes. Can anyone recommend some varieties that are suitable for my area? I'm in Zone 5a, in the western Chicago suburbs, DuPage County. Thanks for your help!

Comments (2)

• pajohnso
    17 years ago

Some varieties that did really well for me last year in my northern Michigan garden were:

Stupice, first one to ripen. Smaller size but I got at least one of these a day off one plant for at least a month.

Banana Legs, nice yellow tomato, very mellow flavor but I liked the color in salsa and such and I got a ton of tomatoes on a very compact plant.

Black Cherry, very tasty little cherry tomato, got a ton of them throughout the season.

Persimmon, only got two tomatoes off one plant but they were huge, tasted amazing and the plants were fairly compact.

I planted 26 different kinds of heirlooms last year and will only be planting about 6 of them again this year and these were my favorites for both flavor and the fact that they actually ripened before the end of the season.

• benjohnson
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you! Why are you planting so many less this year? Just curious...

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!