Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlad

Squash Search

gardenlad
19 years ago

Just got a call from a 73-year youngster in eastern Kentucky whoÂs looking for a squash she remembers from her youth.

She describes it as having a blue-gray skin, like a hubbard, and a beautiful golden flesh. It was called Missouri Blue.

I searched the new SSE Yearbook, but nothing like that is listed.

If anybody has a line on this squash, and where seeds might be available, IÂd like to help her out.

Thanks.

Comments (3)

• breezyb
    19 years ago

I checked out Baker Creed Heirloom Seeds (who I absolutely LOVE for heirloom veggis & flowers). No "Missouri Blue", but they did have:

"Queensland Blue" - Popular in Australia, this heirloom was introduced to the U.S. in 1932. Beautiful blue turban-shaped 12 lb. fruit, deeply ribbed. Fine, deep golden flesh that is sweet & fine flavored. A good keeper.

Baker Creek's full-color catalog is fantastic reading & a wonderful reference guide.

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    19 years ago

It certainly is, Breezy. And if you can make it to their festival held each April you'll be even more impressed; both with the festival and the retail store.

There are several blue squashes. But this is a specific one, known by that name. It may simply have disappeared, though, as the lady's mother is the one who grew it, and the lady is in her 70s now.

What I'm hoping is that somebody has continued growing it, and saving seeds, and we can "rediscover" it that way.

• maryinpnw
    19 years ago

Has anyone checked the ag schools in Kentucky or Missouri? Maybe they have this variety in their seed stock for growouts and breeding purposes? How about the Extension Services in either state? The E.S. in this town has interested seed savers. I know it is not the same everywhere, but perhaps worth a shot.

Once I was given some seeds for an heirloom tomato from Ohio. I posted on the Ohio Valley forum and another. Did get a little info.

Perhaps you might find some information on the Ozarks forum, Midwest Gardening, Mid-Atlantic or Southern forums. Good luck in the search.

Mary, who loves to read about heirlooms

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting