Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timbersquirrel

Greek Sweet Red Squash

timbersquirrel
19 years ago

Does anyone have any information or history on the Greek Sweet Red winter squash offered by Baker Creek? They say they're the only seed source in the US but they don't say where they got the seeds from other than calling the squash Greek.

Comments (2)

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

They say they're the only seed source in the US but they don't say where they got the seeds from other than calling the squash Greek.

If Jere says they're the only source in the US then there's no sense in my looking in the SSE Year books or elsewhere for info.

I found only pone reference to it on Google and it was a descr iption of the Baker Creek blurb, so nothing new there.

Aha, I did look at the 2004 SSE Yearbook and SSE itself was offering Greek Sweet Red, from a CA SSE member fro m several years back, so that could well be his source of seeds since HJere is also an SSE member. No history given and I don't have the time right now to go thumbing theu my back Yearbooks, si nce no date was given for the original listing.

In this case if you want more info I think it's best you e -mail Jere Gettle off the website for the info you're looking for.

Seems to me, though, that for a new introduction he would have given all the info he had on history, etc. The exact seed source, at least to me, would be less important since it could be from any collector anywhere. ( see my update ab over on a possible SSE source)

Carolyn

• honeybunchy
    14 years ago

my seeds came from sandhill preservation center. they may have more info for you. i haven't grown this before, but i have high expectations! good luck

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!