Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vegetables

Posted by smdmt z4MT (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 20, 11 at 17:11

I'm trying to plant heirloom vegetables this summer in my garden. Are the varieties described as heirloom always heirloom seeds? For example, I find Danvers 1/2 long carrots in seed packs at the hardware store. Are they hybrid or are all Danvers 1/2 carrots heirloom?

Thanks for setting me straight.
Suzanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vegetables

Danvers Half Long is an heirloom. Your assured of variety by selecting a reliable source. If growing more than one variety for seed there is always potential of crossing in the home garden for seed savers. Isolation by distance is not so easy.

o

Thanks for your response.
S.

o

Some folks consider all open pollinated varieties "heirloom" other restrict the term to older, rare, non commercial varieties. Danver's Half Long is an older (pre WWII) OP so would fit most "heirloom" definitions.

o

There is a lot of variation with the use of "heirloom." The strictest defintion I've heard was that it had to be an open pollinated variety which was kept for at least 50 years outside of commercial production. I like to think of heirloom as any older variety, say, with origins before the 60's, which is open pollinated. But even that is kind of loose. I mainly want to grow open pollinated varieties, regardless of when they were developed.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here