Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smdmt

Vegetables

smdmt
13 years ago

I'm trying to plant heirloom vegetables this summer in my garden. Are the varieties described as heirloom always heirloom seeds? For example, I find Danvers 1/2 long carrots in seed packs at the hardware store. Are they hybrid or are all Danvers 1/2 carrots heirloom?

Thanks for setting me straight.

Suzanne

Comments (4)

• organicdan
    13 years ago

Danvers Half Long is an heirloom. Your assured of variety by selecting a reliable source. If growing more than one variety for seed there is always potential of crossing in the home garden for seed savers. Isolation by distance is not so easy.

• smdmt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your response.
    S.

• farmerdill
    13 years ago

Some folks consider all open pollinated varieties "heirloom" other restrict the term to older, rare, non commercial varieties. Danver's Half Long is an older (pre WWII) OP so would fit most "heirloom" definitions.

• Macmex
    13 years ago

There is a lot of variation with the use of "heirloom." The strictest defintion I've heard was that it had to be an open pollinated variety which was kept for at least 50 years outside of commercial production. I like to think of heirloom as any older variety, say, with origins before the 60's, which is open pollinated. But even that is kind of loose. I mainly want to grow open pollinated varieties, regardless of when they were developed.

George
    Tahlequah, OK