Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paquebot

sse madison store, closed!

paquebot
19 years ago

In a rather unexpected move, the Madison, WI Seed Savers Exchange store is empty. Just a week before Christmas, the staff were anticipating clearing out the old material to make way for the 2005 seeds. The clearing out took place but not the replacement. Bummer for me! During the December half-price sale, I loaded up on just about anything that I may want to grow in the next several years. In hindsight, I should have gone in there with a fatter wallet! Not to totally abandon the area, they've turned the local seed and plant sales over to reputable outlets.

Martin

Comments (8)

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

Martin,

Aaron told me about it last week, but I wasn't going to say anything until some kind of formal announcement was made.

Aaron explained to me the several reasons for closing, and I'll just leave it at that, for now.

I'm sorry to see it happen, but it was something initiated by the Board of Directors and felt to be necessary re other plans and initiatives, as I understand.

And while Aaron didn't mention it, I'm glad to hear that local seed and plant sales will be in good hands.

Good thing you bought as much as you did when you did.

Carolyn

• josie23
    19 years ago

They closed the store for some very good reasons. Space limits, the rent of the building was very high etc.

Now instead of having to drive downtown madison to a very small store with no parking, The Bruce Company in middleton will be carring the seeds and plants.

The Bruce Company has been family owned for over 50 years and is a great place to shop. It is a huge full-service garden center and they have architects, and installers for plants and trees too. I really like going there myself, they have a great selection and service for everything I need for my garden

• ericwi
    19 years ago

I have shopped at the Madison Seed Savers store several times in the past few years, & I'm sad to see it go. But I'm not really surprised. Real estate prices, and rents, are really high in this city. I don't have an answer.

• eyolf
    19 years ago

I haven't had the opportunity to shop the SSE store, so can't say I'd miss it. However, if the SSE establishes themselves as a "Brand" or marque by offering products through already established outlets in Madison, I hold out hope that they might become at least as popular as any of the other small specialty brands, able to place seed racks and transplants throughout the region. Imagine looking for the SSE label when making choices at the local garden store!

• paquebot
    Original Author
    19 years ago

eyolf, there's a good chance that there's an SSE seed/plant outlet in your area. There are at least 6 in Minnesota. I'll let you figure out if any are within reasonable driving range.

Martin

Here is a link that might be useful: SSE Outlets

• tootswisc
    19 years ago

I am very sad. My past 2 gardens were exclusively heirloom seeds from them. Now where will I get my plants? The farmers market can be hit or miss but I am sure I will find what I want.

I am glad I saw this thread-I would have been so disappointed making the trip only to find the store gone. I loved that little shop and spent alot of money there...shoot!

• paquebot
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Toots, possibly a bit late but I stopped off at the Almost There Farm Market yesterday. It's about 2 miles west of Arena on Hwy 14. Diagonally SE across the highway from Heck's Market. I promised the owner that I'd mention my "inspection tour" here!

If you got the flyer about what plants would have been available, those were all indeed on hand at the advertised $1.25 per plant for most. All 13 tomato varieties were available but going fast. Several were screaming "Take me home!" but I was strong and resisted their pleas! Seed rack wasn't nearly as impressive but most of the basic vegetables were on hand.

Martin

• Violet_Skies_
    18 years ago

SeedSavers have also been at the annual 3 day Garden Expo held every Feb. at the Alliant Center; hopefully that will continue. They have a ton of seeds for sale there as well as the books and other products, basically almost everything they had in the store. So get your lists ready early!