Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akadenise

Green Mountain Potato

akaDenise
21 years ago

Years ago I read about a Maine heirloom potato called Green Mountain. They are supposed to be superb for fried potatoes. Has anybody grown and tasted this old variety? I'd love to hear your opinion.

Denise

Comments (13)

• garlicgrower
    21 years ago

Yes, I have grown them, and they are actually pretty common. I got my seed potatoes from Pinetree Garden Seed of Maine.
    They are very tasty and versatile.
    Good luck
    Maryanne

• akaDenise
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thanks Maryanne! I see you're from Massachusetts and I guess they would be common there. Actually I've only read about them in a cookbook.

Denise

• Clara_ND
    20 years ago

I am Spud'tacular Potato Research and yes I have grown Green Mountain potato variety. This is the information that I have about this variety.
    Popular heirloom originated in Vermont in 1878 and was named in 1885 by O.H. Alexander, Charlotte, Vermont for the table use market and home gardens. The parents are Dunmore x Excelsior. Late matuirng, large size and spreading plants that have large white flowers. High yields of short oblong to oblong, flattened with blunt ends, buff, netter tubers that have medium deep eyes. The tubers have white flesh.
    I hope this helps a little.

• mark_fields
    20 years ago

This is an excellent heirloom but beware, this old timer carries quite a bit of scab with it. If you find a commerical source such as one of the small heirloom suppliers, I'd strongly encourage you to get it there. That way you've less chance of bringing the disease into your garden.

• Odyssey
    20 years ago

Our local Historical living farm planted 'Green Mountain', be very interesting to see how the potato comes out and handled being stored for the winter. Ronnigers Potato Farm carried the variety in their 2003 catalog, not sure if it is listed wuth their online site at www.ronnigers.com

Jim

• cheryl45
    20 years ago

I am almost 60. I was planting potatoes with my father from the time I was 4. The only kind he would plant was green mountain. I plant every year and only green mountain. They are a very white and mealy potato. Excellent. However, they are subject to scab and the yeild is a lot less than other varieties. But the taste is worth it.

• barkeater
    20 years ago

The (last) potato farm, Flock's, in our county in NJ was famous for its Green Mtn. potatoes all the way up to about 1987 when they sold out and moved their operation to the Eastern shore. I didn't know it was considered a heirloom!

• beemom2
    20 years ago

I was able to get some from my sister's mother-in-law one year. They were a great tasting potatoe. The old timers around here plant them all the time.

• paquebot
    20 years ago

There is misconception here concerning scab. Scab is present all over the world and can be an airborne disease. It does not necessarily come in with the seed. Potatoes grown in soils within the 4.8-5.6 pH range are not apt to develop scab. In the descriptions of many potato varieties, some will be described as resistant or tolerant of scab. Green Mountain just happens to have low resistance to common scab rather than a carrier of it. Thus it is better grown in soil having a 4.8-5.2 pH range.

Here is a link that might be useful: Common Potato Scab

• garlicgrower
    20 years ago

Hello again
    Just dug up my Green Mtns a couple of weeks ago. Look nice, are tasty, and had a pretty good yield.
    I got the seed stock at Pinetree Seeds of Maine:
    superseeds.com

Maryanne in Massachusetts

• suenh
    19 years ago

My Agway store carries them along with a few others.
    Delicious!

• Macmex
    13 years ago

I grew up in Colts Neck, NJ and ate many of these great potatoes. For a couple years Mr. Flock gave my family permission to glean from his fields. Mechanized harvesting missed the largest & smallest. So we would glean bushels of Green Mountain Potatoes. When he stopped growing them many residents noticed the decline in quality of potatoes available in the stores. Apparently Mr. Flock sold to the stores, though I hear he primarily sold to the Wise Potato Chip Co.

George
    Tahlequah, OK. & growing Green Mountains

• farmerdill
    13 years ago

Been a while, But in my youth Green Mountain( University of Vermont) was a popular potato for fall harvest (planted in July) Early Rose and Irish Cobbler were the most popular for spring harvest. Did not like Green Mountain for spring because they had a much stronger flavor than Irish Cobbler when matured in hot weather. Katahdin (USDA 1932) was popular in the appalachian area. " Heirloom" means many things to different people. All of these were commercial cultivars in their time. More modern varieties have improved characteristics particularly in the areas of disease resistance and productivity.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths