Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammyd123_gw

Looking for sweet potato: Cherokee Chief

tammyd123
17 years ago

Quite a few years ago my mother obtained an heirloom sweet potato called "Cherokee Chief" in an exchange with another gardener. From the two small tubers she got she started plants, and every year grew them in her garden, saving a few each winter to start plants the next spring.

Last summer she had a lovely crop of young plants set out, and then my dad, who is unfortunately losing his vision (they're both in their 70's), decided to do some plowing, got on the tractor, didn't see or remember where the sweet potatoes were, and - you guessed it - plowed them all under and none were salvageable.

I've been searching the internet looking for this sweet potato, so far when I search "Cherokee Chief" I get a dogwood tree by that name. I'm hoping someone out there might know about this sweet potato and/or possibly have some they could share. Any info appreciated.

Comment (1)

• Macmex
    17 years ago

What was the variety like? Sometimes folk keep something going but forget the name. I have a Cherokee friend, nearby, who has saved a variety for years, but he can't tell me the name.

George
    Tahlequah, OK