Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
urbangardenfarmer

How to grow Brandywine Tomatoes?

urbangardenfarmer
14 years ago

I have been trying to grow brandywine tomatoes indoors since October. I can't seem to dial them in? All of my other varieties are doing just fine. Does anyone know if they need less/more nutrients or less/more water then other tomato varieties? To describe how they're acting:

-Leaves are curling under almost making a tube shape(crunchy).

-Between two plants, they have only produced two tomatoes(planted from seed Oct.24th.)

-The veins in the leaves, in the middle of the plants, are dying and then falling off.

Comments (6)

• deanriowa
    14 years ago

Sounds like they are diseased and I would remove them for being near any other tomato plants or the disease most likely will spread.

I have grown many Brandywine tomatoes and I have not noticed any special requirements for growing them.

Dean

• gomanson
    14 years ago

As to the yield, I grew Brandywines last summer in the ground in a nice sunny location and kept them well watered. The plants got huge but still only produced 1-3 tomatoes per plant.

• pammyk
    14 years ago

I grew my first Brandywines last year and they grew slower than the other tomatoes and actually most of them were still green when frost hit! (put them in in July). There were a half dozen or so very nice size tomatoes on each plant. Does anyone know if they usually have a longer time to ripen?

• pammyk
    14 years ago

I grew my first Brandywines last and they grew slower than the other tomatoes and actually most of them were still green when frost hit! (put them in in July). There were a half dozen or so very nice size tomatoes on each plant. Does anyone know if they usually have a longer time to ripen?

• ericwi
    14 years ago

We grow brandywines every summer, and we keep growing them, because they have superior flavor. They are the last to ripen, but summer 2009 was an atypical growing season, due to cool and overcast weather in July. Its supposed to be sunny in July, even in Wisconsin. I think our brandywines finally were ready around September 15. The only special care these plants receive is a healthy dose of the compost we make. I add this material to the garden in May, and mix it in the top 6 inches of soil.

• girlbug2
    14 years ago

I grew Brandywines several years ago one Summer, three pinks and one yellow. The plants got huge and they were productive. I wish I had weighed my harvest from them, but from my memory I probably got ten large tomatoes from each pink plant but more than a dozen of the yellows. The yellow Brandywine produced slowly but steadily and outlasted the others. I picked its last tomato on Thanksgiving day. No special care, just good organic growing practices

Sponsored
Cellko Construction Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Licensed General Contractor Serving Loudoun County