Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigoledude

Here's my list of melons. Will they grow here?

bigoledude
15 years ago

I've never grown melons before. However, I have gardened for years.

I purchased what I believe to be all Open Pollinated types. They are Charantais, Jaune Canari, Ananas, Haogen Israeli, and Banana. (Forgive spelling, the seed packets are where my wife is sleeping right now!) Are these gonna do well here?

Our summers are really hot and the humidity is very high. My plan was to plant the melons around the perimeter of the slab of my former neighbor's house, letting the vines cover the concrete. Katrina knocked the house part down.

While searching here for melon help, I read that the root system of melons was as spread-out as the plant itself. Would the plant produce enough roots along the edge of the slab to compensate for the lack of water and food under the slab?

The soil is sandy with tons of compost added.

If there are any tips specific to my melons please share them with me. Or, for that matter, any general tips on melon-growing, fire-away!

Ray

Comments (2)

• fusion_power
    15 years ago

Charentais will be a hit or miss for production. It makes a crop about one year in 3 for me. We are too hot for them to do very well.

Be careful of getting too much nitrogen in the soil. Melons thrive with lots of humus and moderate amounts of nitrogen.

DarJones

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

You should be able to grow just about any type of melon in your location. Just give the roots plenty of room to roam. A four footwide tilled strip adjacent to the concrete should do it. With the exception of the Haogen, none of your listed cultivars are overly productive. The Banana you will either love or hate. The Spanish melons Ananas and Canari have very long seasons which you have. They respond negatively to excess water, so make sure your area is well drained.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville