Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thomis

NC heirloom apples

thomis
16 years ago

I planted 16 dwarf heirloom apple varieties in the middle piedmont of NC last Nov. I'd like to share experiences with any NC growers of the heirloom apple varieties as we may share the same trials and errors. Hope to hear from you.

Thomis

Aunt Rachel

Horse

Old Fashioned Winesap

Blacktwig

Red Rebel

Magnum Bonum

Carolina Red June

Grimes Golden

Yates

Comments (5)

• robertmasson8_nc_rr_com
    16 years ago

hello, i live in Raleigh area and want to find heirloom apple varieties that do well in Carolina heat. i am experienced brewer and botanist (NCSU grad student)looking to grow 6 semi dwarf HARD CIDER varieties in front yard. could use your feedback on local sources of rare varieties.

• thomis
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Robert,
    Maybe we could exchange knowledge... Hard cider sounds like FUN. I've never brewed anything but have consumed my fair share of brewed items...
    My trees are still yearlings so it will be a while before I get any fruit (3 years minimum) so I can't share experience with you but I CAN share the knowledge I have gained from all of the research I have done.

I'll attache a website for a local apple tree nursery that has a list of "warm weather apples". All of mine are supposed to produce well down here.

www.centuryfarmorchards.com

• vgary
    16 years ago

For your information, there is a real treasure in Ash County, North Carolina --- Big Horse Creek Farm. It specializes in Heirloom Apple Varieties of the Appalachian South.
    I am attaching the link to their great variety listing with descriptions/history.
    Gary

Big Horse Creek Farm
    North Carolina nursery specializing in antique and heirloom apple trees and custom grafting services.
    Map of 1610 Old Apple Rd, Lansing, NC 28643
    www.bighorsecreekfarm.com/

• spunbondwarrior
    16 years ago

Right down the road from you in Pittsboro even!!!
    Calhoun is a very well known nursery and individual amonst apple freaks all over the SE United States:

Calhoun's Nursery 295 Blacktwig Rd., Pittsboro, NC 27312, tel. 919-542-4480 Lee and Edith Calhoun sell antique apples that originated or were widely grown in the South, and they are the only commercial source for several dozen old varieties. Catalog describes two dozen old southern apples and additional named cultivars (almost 200) are listed. Custom grafting offered, also fact sheets and 8-page illustrated apple pruning guide ($1) available. Catalog $1.

And as previously mentioned, Big Horse Creek Nursery right by Lansing, NC. It's a pretty good drive from R/Du/CH, best to make it an all day drive via US-58W to US21 by Independance, Va to Sparta, NC and then just ask any of the real locals which way to Jefferson/West Jefferson/Lansing. A great and beautiful way to spend a day:
    Big Horse Creek Farm, Specializing in Appalachian Mountain Apple Trees
    Ron & Suzanne Joyner
    P.O. Box 70, Lansing, NC 28643
    http://www.bighorsecreekfarm.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: nursery listings by state

• jimbabb
    12 years ago

We have the Grimes Golden,Yellow Horse and Red June along with the Arkansas Black in our orchards and in our nursery

Here is a link that might be useful: Wadd's Creek Farm