Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raptorfan

heirloom pea recommendations?

raptorfan
18 years ago

Hello, I was thinking of trying peas in my garden this year. Can anyone recommend something for a first timer that hopefully has fragrant/attractive flowers?

Thanks.

Comments (4)

• Raymondo
    18 years ago

Do you mean sweetpeas? I don't know of any pea, as in the vegetable, which has fragrant flowers, though some have beautiful bi-coloured flowers.

• raptorfan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry, i was referring to the vegetable. I purchased Sutton's Harbinger seeds this weekend. Has anyone grown it and can comment? I mixed up my flowering with the sweet pea types.

thanks!

• motherduck
    18 years ago

I've grown Sutton's Harbinger and it did good. However, my all-time favourite pea is Green Arrow but I don't think it's an heirloom. The pods are very long with 10 or 11 peas. The plant is vigorous and very prolific. Another pea that I think is outstanding is 'Carouby De Maussane' which is an old French heirloom. It's a very tall, vigorous snow pea with purple flowers. The pods are thick and succulent. These are fantastic stir-fried! The Cook's Garden sells them.

• Miss_Mudcat
    17 years ago

I've grown Sugar Snap, and in my opinion, they taste superb! The flowers are typical; nothing special. Dwarf Gray Sugar has the most beautiful flowers I've seen. It is a Snow pea but will fill out to shelling size, tho' the taste is quite starchy.

Lisa