Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwr6404

Adapazari Squash

jwr6404
18 years ago

Has anyone out there tried this Squash? Someone in Turkey has sent me some seed. I have been told it is a favorite Turkish variety. I have been unable,online, to gather any info on this Squash. The sender has told me it is a very large Hubbard type variety and quite sweet. All info greatly appreciated.

Comments (70)

• maryinpnw
    17 years ago

Love some seeds Jim. Just tell me where to send a SASE, or I can email you my address. Thank you so much.

Mary

• jwr6404
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mary
    The seeds should be ready to ship soon. I'll also send you some bean seeds that I have. I got them and have been planting them for about 19+ years. I got them from an old,since deceased, Korean friend who obtained them from an even older friend 20 years prior. That person alledgedly got them in China and I have no reason to doubt the story. They are large,Lima bean size, and are a lilac blue,violet and purplish in color. My beans grow over my porch roof which is 9.5 feet high,They have beautiful orange flowers. I sent them all over the country and everyone who contacted me loves them and will grow them forever. Don't bother with a SASE provide me your mailing address and I will get a package together for you. It may be mid-late Feb before I send them out.
    JWR

• Macmex
    16 years ago

I hope to try the Adapazari squash again, this spring. Won't be long now. Last year my squash were almost all killed by squash bugs, even the c. moschatas. We only managed to get some Warsaw Buff Pie Pumpkins (c. moschata) and Dolma Kabak summer squash to survive and produce. The Dolma Kabak, which Jim sent me, is a c. pepo, from Turkey. Borers hit it. But it rooted heavily along the whole stem. Hence it survived and produced until nearly frost. Oh, I should mention Dolma Kabak is not a bush. It's VINING!

George

• drloyd
    15 years ago

In early August 2006, Jim already had some very large squash, one about 40 pounds. This year we had a very late spring. It is past the middle of August and I have a vast jungle of vines and leaves that are two feet across but the many squash are small. - Dick

• jwr6404
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dick
    My Squash are on the small size as well,I only planted six seeds and all germanated and I have six Squash in the 8-10 inch diameter size along with a few smaller ones which will be aborted or the Mrs will use them in a soup. If we have a normal Fall season I would expect the six larger ones to exceed 15 lbs. They will not reach 40 lbs as this was my largest ever and this has been my worst,except for the IWK beans,gardening year ever.
    Jim

• drloyd
    15 years ago

Hi Jim,

Mine have continued to grow even on recent chilly days. Hopefully I will end up with some that reach about 15 pounds.

Dick

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I'm just starting to get squash now. I'm hoping they get big enough before frost (not a four letter word but should be!) Thanks so much for the seeds. You'll have to post the Mrs. soup recipe.
    :)

• drloyd
    15 years ago

The squash did better than expected. Two are about 20+ inches diameter. One is gray as in the picture. One is more greenish. Both are deeply ribbed. Several are about 12-15 inches.

I will probably leave them in the garden until frost is expected, hopefully late October. - Dick

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I'm glad to read someone else has one that's greener. I have one that is maybe 20 inches and green with gray/green ribs. I have two more that are much smaller. I hope they mature before frost. I had to cover them up once for threat of frost.

• jwr6404
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This has been one bad year for my garden as well. We only started six plants for this years Adapazari. We have 5 Squash with 2 exceeding 20",2 exceeding 15" and the 5th one is approximately 13". These are much smaller than previous years. We normally harvest in November. My tomatoes are a failure as well and appears that I will get a few Mortgage Lifters and one Persimmon. The other 18 plants are lost. If I ever hear another idiot mention Global Warming I may lose self control.
    Jim

• booberry85
    15 years ago

It's been a bad year across the North, Jim. My tomatoes got blight early in July. I had them all ripped out by Labor Day. I did get some yield from them though. I was actually happy with the Adapazari & my butternuts despite getting a late start and having my husband hit them with the lawn mower.

Over all, compared to other years, it was not a good year for the garden. Compared to others around me this year, the garden did alright.

• drloyd
    15 years ago

I live just a few miles south and a bit higher elevation (590') than Jim. This morning the thermometer read 33F and there was frost on the car. There has been only one recorded 32F night this early here in the past.

The garden looks fine tonight so I am hoping there is no major damage. We are looking forward to sampling one of these squash. I'll try to get a good photo first. - Dick

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Well, we got a frost last night. I covered up the squashes. We're going to get a frost tonight too. They are covered up again. I have one squash that is mostly ripe and another one that is just starting to ripen. I have two other small ones that are still developing. I was thinking of picking the mostly ripe one. Not ideal, but better than have frost get it. Any suggestions?

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I picked the one that is near ripe this morning. I would have guessed it to weigh close to 20 lbs. However, upon weighing, it's 14.5 lbs. This is the biggest one I grew.

• drloyd
    15 years ago

We picked our squash a week ago due to frost. Last night I cut into one of the larger ones which has greenish color. It weighed 40 pounds according to a bathroom scale.

It was not too difficult to cut into with a knife. They are stored in a cool garage and have not really been in a warm place where the skins would toughen.

We steamed a few pieces along with some of our corn and shelly beans. It almost makes fall worthwhile!

The squash has good flavor and smooth texture without stringiness. It is a bit moist so it will probably be even better baked. Dick

• jwr6404
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dick
    Glad you got a big one,I seem to recall you were hoping for a 15+ pounder. Even more happy that you enjoy the taste and texture as well. I only planted 6 seeds and got 6 Squash,the largest of which is approximately 25 lbs.I'm watching the weather closely and we are not nearing the freezing Zone. I'm looking forward to all the Squash Pie I can eat for Thanksgiving.
    This is the only Squash other than Zucchinni,I've grown. I've always been curious to know if all Squash varieties have the volume of seeds that these Squash has.
    Jim

• drloyd
    15 years ago

Hi Jim,
    I do not know if it really weiged 40 pounds, just that the bathroom scale read that. Quite difficult to carry around. The things just kept on growing in spite of the cool fall. The amount of seeds seems pretty typical of C maxima types.

Here on the hill we have had half a dozen 30 F nights so far, one at 29 F.

I would like to make squash soup. Did you ever post that recipe? - Dick

• drloyd
    15 years ago

I found a pumpkion soup recipe at allrecipes.com that site users raved about. I reduced the recipe to use a standard 32 ounce container of chicken stock. I also added the suggestions made by other users and my wife's idea of the lemon juice.

We made a batch yesterday and I liked it a lot. It will be even better in December as the squash continue to ripen and age. The one I cut into was a bit under ripe. We did like the lemon juice addition and I plan to use sour cream next time. We also sauteed the onion in some olive oil.

Squash Soup

4 cups chicken stock (or vegetable broth)
    1 tsp salt
    2 2/3 cups pureed cooked squash
    2/3 cup chopped onion
    1/3 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1/8 rounded teaspoon dry) (or a dash of cinnamon and ginger instead)(or add to the thyme a shake of ginger and nutmeg) (or thyme plus cinnamon, nutmeg and celery)
    1 clove garlic minced
    1/3 cup cream (or half and half or 1/2 cup sour cream)
    Freshly ground pepper
    1 teaspoon chopped parsley (optional, for garnish)

Bring stock, salt, squash, onion, thyme (etc.) and garlic to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes uncovered.

Puree with a hand held blender or in a Vitamix or food processor.

Simmer another 30 minutes. Grind on pepper. Stir in cream. If desired, add some fresh lemon juice. Add parsley garnish if desired. Serves 6.

• jwr6404
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Picked my Squash recently and put them in an upstairs where they will remain until late January. I planted 6 seeds and got 6 Squash of varied sizes. They weighed(smallest to largest) 5-20-22-22-46-54 lbs each. Needless to say that I was surprised at the two big ones as in the past the largest I had grown was 42lbs. I cant vouch for the accuracy of my weighing but I used drloyd(Dick's)tried and tested Bathroom Scale method.

If anyone interested seeds will be available in Feb/Mar and as usual no need to woory about Postage.

Jim

• lillieinal
    15 years ago

good morning,
    this squash sounds good.
    what color is the meat and where can i get seeds?

• jwr6404
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lille
    The meat is a bright orange color and sweet in taste and makes wonderful pies. If interested in seeds,which will be available in Jan/Feb/Mar) I can be reached VIA e-mail.Address is jwr6404@msn.com.
    Looking at your Zone in Alabama I'm assuming your in Northern Alabama. I spent the Majority of my Military career in Huntsville and in my 2nd career I worked for and retired from the Army Missile Command at Redstone Arsenal,Huntsville.
    Jim

• deanriowa
    15 years ago

Jim, thank you for sending me some seeds. I will be planting them this coming season.

I wonder if anyone would know what species these squash are? I would like to save some seed from these.

thanks,
    Dean

• drloyd
    15 years ago

Others have stated that they are C maxima. Seems likely.

I noticed that the one that I cut has continued to ripen.
    Dick

• happyday
    15 years ago

Borers hit it. But it rooted heavily along the whole stem. Hence it survived

George, you just gave me a good idea. I think next year I'll throw a shovelful of dirt over vine stems here and there, see if it helps feed melons and squash. It can't hurt, can it?

5-20-22-22-46-54 lbs each

Jim, play those lotto numbers! :)

• jwr6404
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Baked 6 Adapazari Squash pies today. I'm getting good at this. The Mrs gave 4 of them away along with a bowl of squash to 4 of her friends. They sure are a big hit in her Korean Community. Guess I'm lucky she lets me keep one.

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I made some pumpkin bread with one of mine and froze the rest of it. Yum! Planning on making more this weekend.

• cabrita
    14 years ago

Jim, my Adapazari squash just sprouted! Thank you so much for sending seed. I am counting 7 of them but expect a couple more. One never knows, I do have critters that eat and disturb seeds, and one of the seedlings had part of the first leaf eaten but it seems to be recovering well. I have tried to share some of the seed you sent but the size of the squash is discouraging some people from growing them, so I am glad I have the room (I think I have the room, we'll see how much room?). With any luck I might need some of those soup and bread recipes you folks are talking about ;-)

• deanriowa
    14 years ago

I justed planted two hills of Adapazari squash and looking forward to some pie this fall.

Dean

• booberry85
    14 years ago

It won't disappoint, Dean. The vines and leaves are monstrous though. I had a ground hog last year that liked munching on the leaves. It's definitely on my "grow again" list.

• Bob (Seattle, Zone 8a)
    14 years ago

Hehe I was looking for the picture of the guy at the market and came across this thread. I'm glad people have enjoyed this squash! I have shied away from them because they are so darn big; you can store them well but when you cut into one it's like slaughtering a sheep, you either make enough pie for an army or you give squash to all your neighbors. ;) This year I'm growing Rouge Vif d'Etampes (also known as 'Cinderella' in the States), Marina di Chioggia (bizarre looking thing). Has anyone else grown them? But now I'm sorry I didn't plant just one Adapazarý for the heck of it. It would be fun to grow a single fruit on a big vine and see just how big it could get. I have a spacious freezer now!

As to the color - yes, some come out green; my neighbor called that the 'male' one. Just local lingo. The gray ones eventually turn sort of a dusty orange with time.

Here in Turkey they generally use it for a dessert, you peel cut the squash into medium size cubes, pack them densely into a pot in a double layer, pour sugar over them and let it stand overnight. The next morning the sugar will be mostly melted and will have drawn lots of water out of the squash. Add a clove or two, and a bit of stick cinnamon if you want, bring it to a boil, then turn low and let simmer till tender. Let cool, and serve sprinkled generously with crushed walnuts. In some places they also pour a little tahini over it.

A friend from Germany makes a sweet/sour squash soup out of it - after boiling and pureeing the squash, she adds as much orange juice as it will take to bring it to a nice consistency, and adds a bit of sugar if necessary, depending on the oranges. A little salt and hot pepper are the only other seasonings, and she serves it with a garnish of cream or coconut milk. I've also done it with a bit of garam masala in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bahcehastasi

• drloyd
    14 years ago

Hi Sazji,

Thank you for the great photos.

Yes, cutting into a 40 pound squash almost requires a small town to help use it up. Either that or freeze some of it. They are also a challenge to carry around. It is great fun to watch them grow to such sizes. And they are good keepers.

I have grown Marina di Chioggia for years. The flavor is mild when first harvested but they gain in sweetness as they age. The flesh is very smooth and dry. It can be steamed and it will be dry almost as though it had been baked. Very fine with some butter, salt and pepper. Like having dessert for dinner. They also keep quite well.

• jwr6404
    Original Author
    14 years ago

drloyd
    Sazji is my original source for Adapazari seeds. Sazji,lost contact for a long while. If you need seeds for next year I will,as always,happy to send you some. Has your address changed? The last communication I had from you you were planning to move.
    Jim

• drloyd
    14 years ago

Hi Jim,

Thank you. Still in Graham. Feel free to stop in if you are in the neighborhood.

Uncle Steve's and Barksdale are looking good. Will let you know how they do. - Dick

• Bob (Seattle, Zone 8a)
    14 years ago

Hey Jim!

Sure, I'll be glad to put some Adapazarý in the mail for you, and for anyone else who's interested. The sellers are usually very glad to give a handful of the seeds when they cut the squash up (it's generally bought in sections). I also want to try some other Turkish squashes. There's one that looks almost like a Japanese squash that shows up in the local markets occasionally. They also grow a big oblong pumpking in SE Turkey that's somewhat narrower from the middle to the stem end; I think I can score some seed of it. I think I'm going to have to prepare a lot more garden space this fall!

• deanriowa
    14 years ago

I had 4" of rain and high winds during the week and the squash survived, wish I could say the same for some of our family trees.

Looking forward to some Adapazari pies and bars this fall.

Sajzi, send me an email when you have time.

thanks,
    Dean

• jdyvanessa
    13 years ago

Does anyone still have any seeds for this adapazari squash?

• jwr6404
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jdy
    I still have some seeds from last year. If you can wait I will have this years seeds available in January. I also tried another Turkish variety this year and will have seeds
    for this Squash in January, as well.

PM me if still interested.
    Jim

• Bob (Seattle, Zone 8a)
    13 years ago

My offer still stands; I can send seeds to people who want them. I also grew a slightly different Turkish one this year, or rather it came up on its own; it looks like the one from UÃÂak, similar to Adapazarñ but usually smaller and less deeply ribbed. But I also grew Triamble in the garden this year so some of them might be crosses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bahcehastasi

• deanriowa
    13 years ago

They are pretty and do make good pies and bars.

None for me this year though, I had a total squash failure due to the weather.

I still have a few Adapazari in reserve for next year though. :)

Dean

• jwr6404
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dean
    Didn't plant that many Squash but will harvest 6 medium-large ones this year. With 200+ seeds each I will have plenty of seeds. If you want more seeds send me your address.
    Jim

• tkoedoot_prunw_com
    13 years ago

Jim, I came over to this forum at your direction and I am even more excited about getting these seeds from you and growing out Adapazari Squash! Turkey is one of my favorite countries in the world and I hope to return some day. When I do return, I will be sure to go to a vegetable market for some new varieties!

• Ebru74
    13 years ago

When ever you get a change visit small cities farmers markets (pazar) in Aegean region. Canakkale, Edremit, Ayvalik, Balikesir, Izmir...
    You will find some edible plants that will take your breath away. You can always keep the seeds from there.
    It is way too far away for you but by a chance you may go to Tire (Izmir) Kaplan restaurant and try local food with different edible greens. Don't leave without visiting the "sali pazari"-Tuesday farmer market.

I am doing completely opposite to what you are doing. I am being transplanted into Houston (sure couldn't find anywhere more hot and humid) from Izmir Turkey.
    Good luck!

• jwr6404
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ebru
    Sorry, I accidently deleted your message asking if I had any Adapazari seeds. I do have seeds. PM me again with your address and I'll send you some.
    Jim

• Zeak Rice
    12 years ago

WHEW! I got some Adapazari seeds in a swap. I read this whole thing just to see what I got. I live in So. Seattle (Des Moines, WA.). Just noticed that DrLoyd lives in So. Seattle, so, depending on the year, I can get some ripened fruit. Very encouraging. Guess I'll try. I love squash.!! Is there any particular habits they have? Things they like? ,etc. or grow just like any other squash. zeakrice@hotmail.com

• jwr6404
    Original Author
    12 years ago

gardenerz
    I originated this thread after recieving my original seeds from Bob Beers in Turkey in the Spring of 2006 I have grown them every year since. I live,not far from your location,in University Place(98467)which is between Tacoma,Lakewood and Steilacoom Washington. At this time I have about 12 small Squash on the vines. An annual problem I have is Pollination and in our climate it can be a problem so as soon as I can I manually pollinate. I have Mason Bees but they are finished with their cycle before the Squash flowers bloom. This year when The Squash began to Bloom I only had female flowers and checked multiple times per day looking for the first male flower to bloom. Now all seems to be OK. FYI I have never gotten more than 1 Squash per vine as the plant seems to abort the smaller ones at about 2-3 lbs. My largest Squash to date has been 54lbs. If your ever in the Tacoma area you are welcome to look at our squash. We also grow the Insuk's Wang Kong beans, which was named for the Mrs,and can be seen on the Beans,Peas and other Legumes forum of GW.

Jim

• coconut_head
    12 years ago

Jim, I would be interested in any seeds you would betow upon me. I have room, and good soil. Love interesting foods from around the world. I'll try to PM you but have heard the function is not reliable so just in case you don't get a PM from me, you'll know I am interested.

• hyeferret
    9 years ago

Hi,
    My maternal grandmother is from Adapazar. Her family was well-to-do, until the Armenian Genocide of 1915. My greatgrandmother made a dessert with phyllo dough that had a filling made with a sweet squash. It was a dessert endemic to Adapazar that I am sure when she lived there she used Adapazari squash. I would love to know how I can obtain some organic, non-GMO Adapazari squash seeds. If any of you know how to get me some, I would be very grateful-it would mean a lot to me to grow this squash that hails from the same town as Grandma did. : )

• jwr6404
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hyeferret
    I have plenty of Adapazari Squash seeds. If your still interested send your address. There is no charge for the seeds or postage.. I'll toss in some Insuk's Wang Kong runner beans if you want
    Jim

• deanriowa
    9 years ago

I planted Adapazari once again, thanks Jim for seed, it has been a good tasting squash and I think they look pretty around Halloween.

Do you know the squash type: C. mixta , C. maxima, C. moschata, C. pepo L.? I would like to save seed for the future, but I need to isolate as I grow many types of winter squash.

Are their any commercial sources Adapazari?

thanks,
    Dean

• hope crews
    2 years ago

If you still grow and steward this seed, may I have some please? I have been searchinfg for 5 yerars now.t y, Hope.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm