Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gene_washdc

Boston Marrow = Golden/Red Hubbard?

gene_washdc
18 years ago

I've been looking around for Boston Marrow seeds, and they seem pretty hard to come by. I've noticed some winter squash varieties named Golden or Red Hubbard, is this the same as the Boston Marrow squash?

Comments (9)

• gene_washdc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I found 'Golden Hubbard' listed as being introduced in 1898 by Ferry -- so that's ruled out as a synonym for Boston Marrow. Still curious why Boston Marrow seems to have fallen out of favor.

• garlicgrower
    18 years ago

Take a look at the squash -Essex hybrid from 1883 - ont he following webpage. The Native Seed Conservancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Native seed Conservancy

• gene_washdc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Garlicgrower, thanks for the link. Looks like a good seed source for heirloom squash. I looked at the entry for Essex hybid, but did not understand the relation to Boston Marrow?

• fliptx
    18 years ago

If you're still looking for seeds, OSV's gift shop is another source for Boston Marrow.

• gene_washdc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks fliptx!

• rodger
    18 years ago

Native seeds is not selling seeds this year. I placed an order in dec. Then in late Feb the check still hadn't cleared so I e-mailed them to verify my order. Last week I finally recieved a response( which was somewhat negative) stating that they were not selling seeds this year and if I had looked at the website it was stated there and my check was destroyed. I still don't see where it says they are not selling seeds and wish they would remove all notions that they sell seeds if they don't intend to sell. Rodger

• gene_washdc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up, Roger. I sent them a check last week. Guess I can stop checking the mailbox. Didn't see anything on the website either about not selling this season. One'd think they'd wise-up and take off the seed offers. Disappointment is not a great way to attract new members or supporters.

• mikekeough
    15 years ago

Boston Marrow is obtainable from Burpees as one of their heirlooms. I just bought a packet at a nursery in Columbus, OH this past week. I logged on to this site to see if I could find out anything about its cultural requirements or needs that aren't on the packet.

• samasan
    15 years ago

I also got Boston Marrow from the seeds available for purchase by non-members at the Seed Savers Exchange.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting