Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmellia_gw

Strawberry Spinach

carmellia
16 years ago

Also called beetberry. Have any of you grown it, or known someone who has experience with it? It sounds almost too good to be true. A plant that offers tender spinach-type leaves and at the axils, strawberry-tasting berries that look more like raspberries.

I am wondering what the catch is. They are supposed to be hardy in zone 4 and are said to be invasive. If they are as useful as the Bountiful Gardens catalog says they are, why don't all of us in zone 4 have a huge patch of them? Does anyone know? Do they attract rabid dogs?

I have a feeling the catalog didn't tell everything, but I am going to try them unless someone knows what the catch is. I have inquired on the Minnesota Form, but no one has tried them. Thanks. Carmellia

Comments (3)

• denninmi
    16 years ago

I've grown it before. The "catch" is that the red berries are flavorless. Don't believe the catalog hype that they taste like fruit of any kind. They're completely bland, just sort of there. Not unpleasant, and they look nice in a salad. You do know that the berries are tiny, smaller than a pea or a kernel of corn, as well, so it would take a lot of pi

• carmellia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up. I already have the seed, so I will put in a small patch. Maybe the birds will be pleased. Carmellia

• carolync1
    15 years ago

Peters Seed and Research sells mustard to Bountiful Gardens. He's been selecting for sweeter beetberries. With any luck, maybe you got some which are a little sweeter.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer