Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherilou_2010

The Sweetest Red Cherry Tomatoes You've Ever Grown?

sherilou_2010
14 years ago

Which heirloom red cherry tomatoes were the sweetest you've ever grown? Please see my "Trade List", if you have seeds saved from your favorite little sweet cherry tomatoes. Thank you for your time!

Comments (9)

• sherilou_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I received some "Sugar Lump" cherry tomato seeds from a friend. I will give those a try.

• fusion_power
    14 years ago

About 1 person in 4 looks for a sweet tomato. They don't care so much for flavor, just want that sugar fix. Most of them enjoy growing Sweet 100 or similar tomatoes. Companies that breed tomatoes caught on to this long ago and now we have tons of sweet tomatoes including Sugary, Sugar Lump, Sweet Million, Sweet 100, etc. I personally don't like the sweetness without some tomato flavor. Sun Gold is another example of an extra sweet tomato but with flavor overtones that do not taste good to me. Fortunately, tons of people love it so I sell several hundred plants per year.

The best flavored tomato I have ever eaten was a super sweet that is segregating from a cross between Sun Gold and Little Lucky. It is a bicolor and must brix well above 12. Flavor is exceptionally balanced similar to Brandywine which is a parent of Little Lucky.

DarJones

• spiced_ham
    14 years ago

For me Sugar Lump = Gardeners Delight was not a sweet tomato. It had a classic cherry tomato flavor. Pink Ping Pong is one that I found to have a candy-like sweetness (low acid) but the sweetness was not intense. I suspect that it would be better in full sun conditions.

• roper2008
    14 years ago

The sweetest I had last year was Sungold. I liked it very much, but wish
    the skin was thinner. Unfortunately you cannot save seeds from it. This
    year I'm going to try Super Sweet 100's, another you cannot save seeds.
    I like sweet tomatoes, but they also have to have tomato flavor.

• bugtussellmom
    14 years ago

Roper, I'm new to seed saving, could you please explain to me why you can't save the seeds from those two types of tomato?

I thought you could save seeds from any heirloom plants.

Thanks!

• roper2008
    14 years ago

They are hybrids. You could actually save seed, but the seedlings will
    not be the same as the original plant.

• anney
    14 years ago

You can grow and save the seeds of the dehybridized Sungold F1, called Sungold Select II. A couple of vendors do sell it. The SS IIs are said to be pretty much equivalent of the F1 tomato but they're open-pollinated, so you can save the seeds and pretty much have them come true.

• spiced_ham
    14 years ago

Peacevine cherry is an OP derived from Sweet 100 it is more sweet than acid, fruity rather than tomatoey.

• Mokinu
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm breeding a new tomato variety that is pretty sweet. Time will tell how sweet (it's only on F2; F3 next year). Its ancestral parent is Husky Cherry Red (which wasn't particularly sweet to my taste). It has a sister plant that isn't sweet, but has a strong tomatoey flavor. Neither taste like Husky Cherry Red. Both are early tomatoes.

I've tried Sugar Lump, but only one or two tomatoes were sweet (and those tasted awesome). The rest just tasted like regular, good cherry tomatoes. They didn't produce a lot, but we had dry, hot conditions (too hot for this variety).