Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ned1_gw

'Giza' Watermelon

ned1
14 years ago

Hi all,

This is probably a longshot, but does anyone knows a source of seeds for watermelon variety "Giza".

I got this many years ago ( maybe as many as 10 ) from Baker Creek. They no longer carry it and I have not been able to locate a source. It is a large-seeded variety and it happens to do very well where I live.

I waited too long to save my own seed. Two years ago, I realized I was down to 3 seeds remaining, and they failed to germinate, so I lost my chance to maintain my stock of seed.

I'd be thrilled if I could get even one or two viable seeds. I have an extensive collection of vegetable seeds, so if someone has this and would like to trade, I probably have something of interest.

fingers crossed...

Comments (4)

• fusion_power
    14 years ago

I have a pack of Giza stuck in the freezer.

I can't grow it this year because I have several other varieties already started. If you will agree to send me back a pack of seed next year, I'll send them to you.

Send me an email with an address.

darjones
    at
    selectedplants
    dot
    com

• ned1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

GW is pretty amazing! I didn't really have much hope that anyone would see and respond to my plea for seed!

Best Regards to All!
    Ned

• fusion_power
    13 years ago

curious how you turned out with the Giza. I had a fabulous crop of Ledmon watermelons.

DarJones

• ned1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

DarJones,

I've been meaning to send you an update. We're having a cool summer here, but I used the green mulch from Territorial and the plants got off to a great start. Looks like I'll manage to ripen at least 5 or 6 melons from 3 plants. They are about a foot in diameter right now. There are more that are Probably about a month away from ripe at this point. I'll send you news and seeds in a month or so!

One thing is certain: nobody within a mile of here has any watermelons growing, so we can be 100% sure of the isolation!

Thanks Again!
    Ned