Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canteloupe and Watermelon suggestions?

Posted by edweather 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 08 at 17:56

I'm looking for suggestions for heirloom/op muskmelons and watermelons for my upstate NY zone 5 garden this year. Any input is much appreciated! Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canteloupe and Watermelon suggestions?

My wife is Asian(Korean) and we have found thet www.evergreenseeds.com has a good selection of Melons,including smaller watermelons that would,I think,grow in your Zone.
Jim

o

I would try some of the following that are a little more tolerant to cooler weather: Minnesota Midgets, Schoon's Hardshell, Pride of Wisconsin,cream of Saskatchewan, & Orangeglo. Sugar Baby is also suppose to do well in NY, but I had a tough time with it last year (too many pests.)

o

Moon and Stars is the most beautiful watermelon you can grow. Deep green with bright orange-yellow perfectly formed circles varying in size from a grain of tapioca to fiddy cents. The leaves too are dark green and spotted. They have a kind of oak leaf shape (maybe all watermelon do, I dont know). And they are open pollinated, so you can save seed from year to year.

The caveat here is that I am not a big watermelon fan. I grown them for the rind and make pickles. I try to find enough people to take away the insides and end up composting some of it. The color inside is not very dark, but that's all I can say about it. I understand from some of the people who have accepted the insides that it was good tasting. I can only tell you that I don't think you will find a more aesthetically pleasing watermelon. Carmellia

o

Minnesota Midget, Golden Jenny, and Blacktail Mountain watermelon grew well in my short season last year. All from Baker Creek Heirloom seeds. The year before I got free seeds for Charentais which I successfully grew in a clay pot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here