Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brenzo77

Need something different for my salsa garden

brenzo77
13 years ago

Hi there folks. I have a small garden and am looking for something a bit different for this summer. I've been doing Roma's and Jalape�o's for a few years now and makeing some great salsa every year. I am thinking of going to a different veriety of tomato and pepper. Just getting a bit bored with the same ole same ole. The reason I've been doing Roma's is that I am not a big fan of "tomato slime" I'm not sure if that's what you call it, but you know what I'm talking about right? So I'm looking for a good flavored tomato and a pepper with just a bit more heat then a Jalape�o. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (4)

• simmran1
    13 years ago

brenzo, on the line of romas I plant Napoli & Rio Grande, both have much less gel than a regular slicing tomato, and I think better taste than Roma. Pepper- I'm thinking you'd like the Mucho Nacho Jalapeno from Jungs seeds or Chichimeca avail from many, including 2B Seeds.

• farmerdill
    13 years ago

If you want to push the envelope a bit, try Tomatillos. For an extra hot jalapeno try Billy Biker or Mitla.

• brenzo77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I think I'm going for the Rio Grande tomato. As for the peppers I've decided to add a bit of fire so I'm going for some habenaros. Thanks folks!

• soilent_green
    13 years ago

Wow! Going from jalapenos to habs is quite a step up in the scovilles. I grow habs for making hot sauce, and they indeed have a distinctive flavor. But IMHO when habs are used in salsas their heat overpowers the delicate flavors of all the vegetables rather than complements.

I used to do the hot thing but I simply got tired of it. I use jalapenos for hot salsas and for mild salsas I use pablanos. Everyone has their own tastes so if the OP wants to use habs I say go for it but maybe still grow a pepper variety with less heat just in case. Also be aware that habs need a bit longer growing season than jalapenos so start seeds earlier. You will harvest jalapenos well before harvesting habs, depending on your zone, so be aware you could be delaying your fresh salsa season with your choice of hot pepper variety.

My opinion regarding tomatoes: slicing tomatoes are good, paste tomatoes are better, and saladette tomatoes are the best for salsas. I agree that there are many heirloom paste and saladette varities that are better in salsas than Roma.

I also grow and use tomatilloes for use in salsas and they really add a distinct flavor, but they have a bit of a sticky slime so the OP may not care for them.

Lastly, in case the OP or other readers are not aware, definitely grow your own slow-bolting variety of cilantro. Home-grown, fresh picked cilantro is my number one ingredient for fresh homemade salsas, and I plant an entire row of it. Without cilantro one simply has a bunch of mixed, chopped vegetables. With cilantro you have SALSA! :-)

Best Salsa Wishes!
    -Tom

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths