Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon_grower

Gaint Thomas Jefferson Heirloom Tomatos

sharon_grower
18 years ago

Could someone please tell me where I could get Thomas Jefferson Heirloom Tomato seeds or plants. My father-in-law wants to plant these in his garden he is in a giant tomato contest this year and he is going crazy trying to find these. I have gone online and cannot find them he did find them on on site but it was a whole sale place and you had to buy 35 or more he does not want that many.

Comments (10)

• suze9
    18 years ago

Sharon -- where did your father-in-law hear about this variety? I read and post to a number of tomato forums, and I don't recall anyone mentioning it, even the folks that are specifically into growing large vegetables.

I did some quick googling and found the company that is selling the plants you were talking about -- MBT Nursery. Just a little more googling reveals that they also do (or did do) business as Rogers and Webster Miracle Bush (tm) tomatoes, as well as also doing business as Publishers Choice.com. These are the same folks that used to do the cheesy ads for the "tree tomatoes".

In short, it's marketing hype. No tomato variety "Averages up to 5 pounds each-all summer long"

Varieties that your FIL might want to look into would include ones like Big Zac, Church, Delicious, just to name a couple of possibilities.

I think if you were to do a post over in the tomato forum, folks would be glad to give you more suggestions on some of the larger fruited varieties that are best for competition (I mainly grow for taste :)).

Here is a link that might be useful: growing tomatoes forum

• mistercross
    18 years ago

You might want to look at the Monticello website which sells seeds, sometimes of the actual varieties that Jefferson grew. Not in the case of tomatoes, however. For example, they have the large variety, Mortgage Lifter, which was developed in the 1930s.

So, why don't they carry anything that Jefferson actually grew? Those varieties could be lost. Or perhaps they are known, but inferior by today's standards.

• Macmex
    18 years ago

Why not ask in the Tomato forum? Someone there would most likely know of this variety.

I agree with suze9. The claim for 5 lb. average sized fruit sounds like hype. Delicious, though, has produced some winners for size.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• vgary
    18 years ago

Sharon, I have not heard of the Giant Jefferson Heirloom. If he is going to grow for size he needs to acquire established seedlings.
    Big Zac is one tomato grown for size; this year it has been difficult to locate seed. A few mail order plants may be available.

Delicious is an open pollinated variety which was introduced by Burpee Seeds in 1979. It produces a large sweet, red tomato with excellent flavor. These generally grow to 2/3 lbs. Gordon Graham of Oklahoma grew the world recod in 1987 --- 7 pounds and 12 ozs. 78-80 days, regular leaf, Determinate. (several seed sources say Indeterminate) There are "special" growing methods for growing giant fruits; he will not get a record size tomato unless he follows some of those guidlenes.

Bragger is another tomato often grown as an extra large variety.
    Gary/Louisville

• strykermom
    18 years ago

Be careful of ordering from MBT Nursery. I ordered these tomato plants last June (2005) and never received the plants. I was unsuccessful in reaching anyone to receive either the products promised OR a refund. They were very quick to deduct the $$ out of my account!

• squarefooterg
    18 years ago

did you dispute the charge with the credit card company or back you made payment from.

• strykermom
    17 years ago

It was ordered with a debit card that charged my checking account directly. They deducted the money right away, but the 60 day period to challenge it lapsed while I was still trying to contact them to find out where the plants were. I sent letters to them and tried to locate any info on the business, but have not heard a peep from them! I've chalked it up to having been had.

• Macmex
    17 years ago

Sharon, thanks for sharing your experience with us. Around here folk say that you invested the money in order that you know about MBT Nursery. Now we know that MBT Nursery is a crooked business, or at the very least completely undependable. Hopefully, someone in the future will do a web search for "MBT Nursery" before they send them money. If they do, I hope that this thread comes up!

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• marylandmojo
    17 years ago

I grew out a number of the varieties grown (and seeds sold in the gift shop) at Monticello, 10 or 12 years ago. As I recall, a variety called "Large Red" was not large at all--either grown at Monticello, or at my house (though it was "red"). (Possibly it was considered large in 1800?) As I also recall, it was ribbed, and originally grown as a paste-type tomato, for sauces, etc. I also remember it having a delicious taste.

I might add that our family farm was located about 20 miles from Monticello, and in that particular area, it was often convenient for growers to attribute a favorite heirloom as having been "grown by Thomas Jefferson at Monticello". I can't tell you how many times I've heard that in my life.

Monticello may still sell the 768-page "Thomas Jefferson's Garden Book", which contains the 60-year diary of his flowers, vegetables, and fruit. Many of the varieties that people have attributed to Monticello (as their origin), are not listed in his records.

Of course, this probably has little (or nothing) to do with MTB, who, no doubt, sell many of their offerings with exagerated claims. "Tomatoes average 5 pounds each" sounds like the claim of a snake-oil salesman--akin to, "Turn lead into gold, in 3 easy steps".

In my tomato-growing experience, the largest open-pollinated tomato I've grown is Mortgage Lifter. It's won county and state fair "Largest Tomato" honors--and, many times, the runners-up were also Mortgage Lifter.

As was mentioned above, in growing giant fruits and vegetables, certain guidelines are followed, not the least of which is removing most of the other fruit/vegetables from the plant so all the energy is directed toward the few (or one) remaining.

Five-pound tomatoes hanging from a vine must be quite a load for the parent plant to bear! No doubt they should be allowed to lie on the ground, so as not to rip all the branches off the plant. :=)