Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boopster_gw

lemon cukes'

boopster
19 years ago

Just ordered some from Bakers, anybody grow these? They sounded yummy:)

Comments (23)

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

Yes, I've grown them.

hate to tell you this but for me they were bland and relatively tasteless.

Your mileage may vary.

Carolyn, who notes that the name Lemon refers more to the fruit shape than,I think, the worthiness of this cuke variety. I'll stick with my faves of Armenian/Serpent and Japanese cukes.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    19 years ago

I grew them in Texas where they did handle the heat incredibly well and produced all summer long. I also found them relatively bland and tasteless.

I tried them three years in a row: one year was an El Nino year with lots of rain and flooding, so I thought maybe the rain was too much and affected the taste. One year was a drought year, and they did taste better, but just slightly. The third year was a typical hot, dry Texas summer and they weren't any better than before. I decided they weren't for me.

• boopster
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well poop:( I was looking forward to trying them too. Oh well, maybe I'll just plant some in an out of the way spot, down by the barn or something, and see how they do. I'll for sure plant some others though. Thanks for the heads up.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    19 years ago

Well, if nothing else they are interesting to look at!

• MLcom
    19 years ago

I do remember them as being prolific. We had them growing as a child. And they out grew the "normal" green ones.

• beckyishere
    19 years ago

We grew these last year and found them to be so so, but it was a nice change from the green ones, and they did do well in our garden. Becky

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

Some of you are comparing Lemon cukes to normal "green" ones.

Have any of you grown the russet cukes such as Poona Kheera? Lovely brown color, disease tolerant vines, great taste, etc.

There's also quite a few white cukes, such as Boothby's Blonde and others that aren't all that bad.

But the russet colored ones I think are great.

Carolyn

• bethlaf
    19 years ago

ive grown them and am growing again this year, yes the fresh flavor is bland, but these aren't a fresh eating cuke, and that often gets forgotten,they are a preserving type, pickled up they make the prettiest pickles youve ever seen , i like to make sweet pickles with mine, floating in a jar with some cloves and green dill, they look good, and taste good too in a light vinagrette with some tomatoes, and fresh red onions they make a nice salad type cuke too , if you make refrigerator pickles, and slice the lemons in with the regular straight eights it makes a good visual impact

• svalli
    19 years ago

This will be my third year of growing lemon cukes and my family loves them. My son eats them directly from the vine. Last year I also grew Richmond Green Apples and they taste even better, so I will continue growing them too. This year I will also try Crystal Apple. All of these seeds I ordered from Baker Creek.

We usually eat the European or "hot house" cucumbers, so I like the milder taste and I grow only cucumbers, which can be eaten whole without peeling.
    Don't let the lemon cukes to grow too large or turn dark yellow, then they will not taste good.

• Sandy_Tee
    19 years ago

I've grown lemon cukes a few times. I like the way they look. To me, they had an ordinary cuke taste. I quit growing them because they don't produce well in my garden. All the regular long green ones produce well. Don't know why. Sandy Tee

• boopster
    Original Author
    19 years ago

svalli, I got the richmond apple cukes as well, was wondering how they were. I planted the lemon cukes a few days ago, guess I'll put the richmonds in the ground too.

• kristie8888
    19 years ago

Well,
    Im still looking forward to growing it. I will use it in Middle eastern salads covered with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt.

Also, use em up by juicing them with apples. =the best juice on the earth.

• hemnancy
    19 years ago

I thought the taste was OK, and they yielded well for me. They can be peeled or not. Making pickles of them sounds interesting, I'll have to try it. They definitely yielded better than most picklers I tried. I tried to pick them before they got too large/old.

• pdxjules
    19 years ago

I like Lemon Cukes - precisely for the Mild Flavor. I harvest when still tender-skinned and pale yellow, rinse and bite right in. A perfect reward while working in the garden in the summer heat.

Since these bear well, and they keep coming if you harvest young & often, you'll have some to share, and folks are always happy to try the Lemon Cuke, and many will not have had them before so it's a nice gift. I planted a succession last year to keep em coming as one winds down...and didn't get tired of eating and sharing them.

I don't peel 'em - unless one has gotten too yellow or sunburned - which makes them hard skinned. I like unpeeled Cuke diced into ANY kind of Salad for Color - and yes, adding Apple Slices, other fruit and raisins is great too!

You can also use them diced, on spicy Soups, in Salsas,
    and aside Mexican foods for a cooling garnish. Ignore all predjudice previously expressed if YOU like 'em.

• yummykaz
    19 years ago

blah.. I grew them last year. Ick... They were ugly, had a bunch of hard spines on them and way to big seeds in them. I was actually glad when they were done. Oh, and they were really clear , like wattery.

• pokesalad
    19 years ago

This will be my first year growing lemon cukes. My plants are already huge. Bethlaf, you wouldn't happen to have a recipe for the pickles would you? I have never attempted to make pickles before. If you do, or anyone else does, please post it here if you can, or email me. Thanks

• heirloom_newbie
    19 years ago

If you want a different cuke, you could try Boothby's Blonde. Blonde is a good description, not all white, but a creamy blonde color. Good flavor, not as hard on those who can't handle the "burp" of regular cukes (though not really a burpless variety). My family loves them, even my wife, who can be sensitive to 'cukes. White in and blonde out, short fat little guys, ok production, good flavor. Nice 'standout' in a salad or whatever--something a little different.

They will turn yellow as they get more mature (but past edible, unless you seed them first).
    Mark

• sunsi
    19 years ago

Have any of you grown the russet cukes such as Poona Kheera? Lovely brown color, disease tolerant vines, great taste, etc.

Where do you get seeds for these, please...I'd like to give them a try, thanks?

About the lemon cukes...I love them and they don't "repeat" on me like some cukes do. The flavor is great and they produced exceptionally well in my garden...the neighbors begged me for more lemon cukes as I shared a lot from my garden so that might be an indicator of how nice they are.

• Bekkoula
    18 years ago

Well with all these different opinions expressed about lemon cukes, I'll plant some this year to make my own opinion. I'm sure they will be cute as hell pickled in nice jars.

I hope I'll remember to come back and tell you what we thought of them at home.

• yummykaz
    18 years ago

I pickle every year. I would not pickle these. They are too seedy and watery. I like to pickle meaty cukes, so I use the regular hard picklers

• svalli
    18 years ago

I bet that people who did not like lemon cuces, let them grow too long. You have to eat them before they turn dark yellow and seeds grow big.

• JerseyJohn61
    18 years ago

This will be my third year of growing Lemon Cukes on my balcony in five gallon buckets up a trellis. I am not a cucumber person but my wife loves them. She finds them "light and refreshing".While They preform well, they are not the heaviest producers.However, they continue going until the frost and long after most other makes have "petered" out. Don't be afraid of the marvelous heirloom.

• debbieisbell
    18 years ago

I grow them last year,bland taste but heavy producer.Hubby didn't like them because they were "different" ie not green!:) Jeeeessee!I made the refridgerater type pickles with them and loved them.Yummy,tossed them in whole and keep adding to them till the jar is full and store in refrig all year.