Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkmc_gw

tomato seedling problems

dkmc
16 years ago

I am currently growing two types of heirloom varieties; both from Baker Creek, Old Italian and Fox Cherry. I started the Old Italian first and then a week later I started the Fox cherry. Right now, since weather is still a little unpredictable, I have the seedlings in the garage under a couple of aquarium plant lights. About a week ago, I started to notice that my Old Italian seedlings were looking sickly. The cotyledons on most of the plants look twisted and contorted and a few of them have had one or more of the cotyledons shrivel and die. I have followed the same schedule with both varieties, applying fish emulsion once a week, watering with spray bottle etc. A few of the Old Italian plants are showing the first signs of true leaves. Am I dealing with a disease, or just the consequence of being a newbie to the whole heirloom and "start from seed" world of gardening?

Comments (6)

• regencylass
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My guess would be either the fish emulsion or it's just too cold for them out in the garage. I have over 200 tomato plants growing with several being from last year's and the year's before seeds from Baker Creek, including their Fox Cherry. I started mine inside the house (in the family room on card tables where the room temp is 69-70) on top of heating pads and under grow lights and have since had to transplant them twice as they have grown so big. Most are now out in the hoop house, although I've got heat lamps on tonight as it's supposed to get below freezing. You also have to be careful to make sure you don't over water, as that will kill them quick. From the day the seed is planted until the plant goes into the ground outside I only water from below (never the top) in order to encourage roots to reach down. As long as it's in a container, I water from below. Rain water is best, but plain tap water will do. No fish, tea, or any thing else added to the water. Oh and on the lights, it's best if the tops of the seedlings stay about 4 inches from the light, adjusting the height of the light as needed as the plants grow. Hope this helps...

• dkmc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the advice and direction. I will check out the FAQ in seed starting. I can start watering from the bottom. One last question: In your experience, how often do you water the seedlings before the first few leaves?

• luv2garden_2008
    15 years ago

I agree with Regencylass. Your seedlings are probably not getting enough light. You need them under your grow lights for at least 12 hours a day. I am starting over 100 heirloom tomato and pepper seeds under lights now. My tomato stems I think are too skinny and spindly. I transplanted many of them into larger peat pots today and put them back under the light. Does anyone one at what point/size I can plant them outdoors? I live in South Georgia in Thomasville. Never heard of Baker Creek, but I'll look them up.

• mrswaz
    15 years ago

Wow TJ! What a treasure trove of information you have there! Thank you so much for taking the time to share all of that.

• food-not-lawns_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

When starting seeds, the plants have enough nutrients to survive in seed trays until they need to be transplanted so the use of any fertilizer is not necessary for at least 6 weeks. Remember that organic soils are rich in nutrients and if watered properly they wont be flushed from the soil, I usually wont fertilize until the plants show signs.

I have also noticed that some plants that were purchased from Rutgers University that were placed in my greenhouse are starting to show signs of stress as they are 4-5 weeks old, I believe this is because they received additional artificial light. Plus the weather here in New Jersey has dropped 30 degrees in the last 3 days as we were getting 70+ days right after a severe snowstorm. One day it was winter and the next day it was spring.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?