Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwr6404

Planting Squash

jwr6404
18 years ago

Received some Adapazari Squash seeds,similar to Hubbard Squash I'm told.I have never planted squash. Are there any special preparations that need to be taken into consideration prior to planting squash? IE! I usually soak seeds of other plants prior to planting,should I also soak Squash seeds?

TIA

Jim

Comments (2)

• Macmex
    18 years ago

I've grown lots of squash and never soaked the seeds. So I don't know how that would work. Generally squash seeds sprout rapidly when direct seeded. I'd pay more attention to the planting site; working in plenty of well rotted compost right below where you'll grow the squash. They are heavy feeders and the compost also helps retain moisture.

A common snare, even more experienced gardeners fall into is that we (yes I do this too) tend to underestimate the space we'll need between hills, rows or other crops. If this squash is related to Hubbard, then it will likely have LONG runners. I'd be sure to leave 10' space around a hill.

Hope this helps!

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• jwr6404
    Original Author
    18 years ago

George
    Thanks for the info. I received these seeds from a gentleman in Turkey for some bean seeds I sent him. They are called Adapazari squash. I was going to plant 4 hills in a 40 sq ft area.
    jim

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists