Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kvlvr

common brown bean?

kvlvr
19 years ago

Actually the longer description from my friends husband is "they are just a common white eyed brown bean" Tric who lives in Canada says her husbands family has been growing these since they were brought over on a ship. It appears that they may have come from Ireland during the 1860s.

Tric says they are a bush bean and that they cross breed easily. I am getting about 30 beans plus some mixed bean seed from one of their plantings.

Since they apparently cross easily how far should I plant them from any other beans I grow. Is there anything else I can do to make sure they are kept pure? I want to keep a pure as possible a strain as Tric has not been able to grow them out recently due to space and time restraints.

Thanks for any help you can give me

dorothy

Comments (6)

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

Dorothy,

Suzanne Ashworth in her excellent book on seed saving states categorically that:

"All P. vulgaris ( common bean, CJM)flowers are perfect and self pollinating. Thus she gives no isolation distances.

And that's been my experience as well.

She goes on to say " at the least" not to grow different varieties of P vulgaris side by side and never grow two white seeded varieties next to each other.

So I'm at a loss to understand why you were told that they cross easily if they are indeed common beans in the genus and species P. vulgaris.

Carolyn

• gardenlad
    19 years ago

I was thinking, Carolyn, that they may not be P. vulgaris, but some Old World species. Perhaps one of the favas or broad beans?

Not only are beans self-pollinating, they actually drop their pollen the night before the flowers open. So natural crosses are very rare. It's also why all P. vulgaris are open-pollinated, despite what some catalogs say about such & such variety being a hybrid.

At any rate, USDA separation distance for beans is 12 feet. Most commercial seed growers use 25 feet. For a home grower like Dorethy, 4-5 feet should be more than sufficient.

However, if they are an Old World bean, than distance doesn't matter, as they won't cross with P. vulgaris anyway, and she can plant them as closely as she wants.

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

I was thinking, Carolyn, that they may not be P. vulgaris, but some Old World species. Perhaps one of the favas or broad beans?

Which B, is why I wrote the following above:

(So I'm at a loss to understand why you were told that they cross easily if they are indeed common beans in the genus and species P. vulgaris.)

And the thread title is "common" brown bean.

Dorothy, can you shed any light on this? Have you seen the bean in question?

Carolyn

• kvlvr
    Original Author
    19 years ago

No I have not seen either the beans or the plant. I can only go on what I have been told by Tric. She does say I have some of the orginal beans PLUS some bicolored beans from a cross in their field.

Her husband calls them common brown beans with a white eye. From the way they talk they were a fairly common bean type for the area.

Considering that we are talking an area of Canada with cool summers and short growing seasons I think it may be possible they are another species then the ones we think of when we say beans in this area. If that is so how do I tell?

dorothy

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

If that is so how do I tell?

Ask Tric to describe to you the plants and what the beans look like?

Fava and runner beans , for instance, are very different from the common beans that most folks grow.

Carolyn

• kvlvr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I got my seeds from Tric. They look like plain bean seeds. The "pure" beans are a deep chestnut brown with a small white eye. The "mixed" beans range from the chestnut brown to nearly pure white. Really striking among them are some that are white with a man like marking in the eye area in the chestnut brown. I am intrigued by those and will be planting them seperatly from the "pure" brown ones just to see what turns up. Will let yall know as we still have at least a month before planting warm season veggies.
    dorothy

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022