Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irish_rose_grower

ordering transplants, tomatoes when safe to have delivered?

irish_rose_grower
19 years ago

HI. I am trying some heirloom tomatoes this year. I already ordered seeds, but now I found Seed Savers Exchange and see they have transplants for sale, and the price seems very reasonable. I was wondering, for my zone 7 long island new york, when is it ok to have these sent to me ?

Has anyone ordered heirloom tomatoes from them?

Maureen

Comments (10)

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

Maureen,

First, you need to know your own last average frost date which for a zone 7 should be about April 15, or so, and then know that you should put out plants ( which arrive hardened off from SSE) about 1-2 weeks after that date.

Then when you look at the order form you see that you have to order by a certain date in order to ensure shipping and receipt by a certain date.

Several deadlines have already passed and it looks like if you order by April 1 you can get those shippped out fo r receipt April 25-27 which would seem about right for you. Besides, you missed the March 15 deadline which would have had plants arriving April 11-13.

I haven't ordered plants since I raise all my own transplants so I can grow what I want to, but those who have ordered from SSE have been very pleased with transplant quality, packing and shipping.

Probably more folks might have answered had you posted in the Tomato Forum, but I think I've covered the essentials here. It's just up to you to check your own frost date which you can do by going to Victory Seeds for their excellent frost chart or better still call your own local Cooperative Extension Office on the island.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn, who notes that there are also other places that send transplants as well. Just to let you know that. But SSE prices are lower than many; it's the shipping costs that raise the average price of transplants, wherever you get them sent from.

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    19 years ago

HI Carolyn. Thank you so much for your help here. Would you be kind enough to let me know the names of 1 or 2 other companies that sell Heirloom transplants?

I think I will be picking your brain over the next month or two -- hope you don't mind :)

Maureen

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

http://www.selectedplants.com/

Is one place with lots of choices, much more than most. An enterprise of one of the regular posters in the tomato folder and folks say the plants are great.

Another source is Territorial Seeds, whose URL you can find via Google.

Yes, there are many more, but I think SSE and Darrell's huge selection of varieties ( the first one above) along with the selections at Territorial are perhaps enough to consider right now.

Carolyn

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Carolyn, you are a GEM! I'm excited about growing some of these heirloom tomatoes.

I'm not sure where to plant them because my 1 yr old lab chewed 15 rose bushs, numerous perennials, a hammock, the list goes on and on and on...... I was wondering if I could grow any of the 12 listed on your list for newsweek in containers safely in my front yard (where the dog can't get them).

What do you think?

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

What do you think?

I think you should read the threads in the regular TOmato Forum now there as to growing in pots , for there are several, and if you'r question isn't answered, then post a thread there.

To be honest, I'm not a pot person, as it were. LOL

Carolyn, who notes that this forum is mainly for locating sources for heirlooms that are not easy to find, but general growing info, etc, really does belong in the respective Forums, whichever they are. And there's lots in the Tomato Forum who are dedicated pot growers or shall I say growers who grow tomatoes in pots, now that I read what I wrote. LOL.

• gardenlad
    19 years ago

>who are dedicated pot growers or shall I say growers who grow tomatoes in pots, now that I read what I wrote. Nice save, Carolyn.

But it wouldn't surprise me if the other was also true. :>)

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

Nice save, Carolyn.

Thank you B, said Carolyn bowing. LOL

But it wouldn't surprise me if the other was also true. :>)

.....also true? For sure it's true which is why I backtracked word-wise. LOL

Carolyn, who gets "high" just knowing the next day has arrived, confirming she's still alive. ( smile)

• gardenlad
    19 years ago

>Carolyn, who gets "high" just knowing the next day has arrived...........and maybe brings chocolate. ;>)

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

>Carolyn, who gets "high" just knowing the next day has arrived...........and maybe brings chocolate. ;>)

Now that is so true.

UPS was just here and delivered t he box with the stuff I ordered from the Peanut Principle and I told him I knew he'd be back tomorrow as well since the order I called in for Krauses Candy couldn't be shipped yesterday b/c they were out of the dark Choco peppermint patties rthat I love so well, so delayed shipment by one day.

But that was tempered with the delivery this AM from USPS of the 2# of Guittard dark choco non-pareils.

To know me is to love me. LOL

And why am I doing this?

B/c when I saw the surgeon on Tuesday for follow up re my torn quad muscle he told me when I next see him April 26 we'd talk replacement of my worst hip/

Now that's what he thinks. I've already spent 4 mo in a walker and still am in said walker but am supposed to be weaned off to a cane, if possible. And I'm not spending the rest of 2005 in the same manner I'm spending the first 6 mo.

Originally when I saw him last May he said hge wouldn't touch me with a 10 ft pole re hip replacement until I stopped smoking, lost 60- 70 # and the recrring abscess problem, though minor, had been solved.

But.....he had no choice with the quad repair and had to operate ASAP, in other words non-voluntary.

So, since I lived to order more nuts and choco I'm going to enjoy it before he gives me a hard time on April 26.

He is very very concerned that I'm going to fall again b'c both hips are very bad as are both knees. Sigh.

OK, did you like that justification? LOL

Carolyn, who has already gained more weight since surgery being confined at home and stopping smoking with Nicorette gum, which I'm chewing even as I type. Double Sigh.

• gardenlad
    19 years ago

>OK, did you like that justification? Carolyn, Carolyn, Carolyn. We're talking about _chocolate_!

Like pretty girls and butterflies, chocolate needs no justification. I would expect you of all people to know that. :>)

I thought you were a Godiva girl? Do I misremember?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting