Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fran_always

Anyone knows where I can buy broccoli De Cicco plants?

fran_always
19 years ago

Happy Easter every one. My broccoli De Cicco seeds must be too old and have not germinated. I grow them every year. But I am afraid, if I order seeds now, they'll be too late growing into summer. I made some Google searches to find transplants. No luck!

Thanks for any help.

Fran

Comments (3)

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

Fran,

De Cicco is not one of the more common varieties that the places I know would sell as plants via mail or even at local nurseries, farm stands, etc.

But the good news is that you **DO** have time to order seeds and plant.

In my zone 5 I always direct seed my broccoli in a short row and then transplant out for there to where I want the plants.

Here in my zone 5 just north of you I'd be direct seeding them around May 1 outside as I do for all broccoli, cabbage, b sprouts, etc, so for you in a zone warmer that would mean about mid-April. The seedlings grown outside are beautiful, but you need to be sure to transplant when they are about 5 weeks old or less .

I assume you know your seed sources so order from some place where you know the turnaround time will be less than about two weeks. Or perhaps you even have a nursery with eeeds racks where you could get them, but again, De Cicco is not one of the more common ones sold, as you know.

Carolyn

• breezyb
    19 years ago

You definitely have plenty of time to get new seed & plant. I haven't even started my broccoli yet because I don't want it getting too leggy. Will probably be starting it within the next 2 weeks. Even if your spring crop comes in a little late, you have more than enough time to get good seedlings started to put in a little later for a fall crop.

• fran_always
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Carolyn and Breezy, thanks. I will definitely try to save my own seeds from now on. I hadn't purchased seeds of anything since 3 years ago, and I am shocked at the prices. Mostly everything used to be a dollar something, now it is easily $2.50, even $4.50. A good incentive to save more of one's own. LOL I do save seeds of my tomatoes, peppers, squash... but broccoli is a bit more difficult with the winter in between. But I'll try. Thanks again.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz