Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
singinnana

Heirloom Tomato Varieties for SE Texas

Singinnana
19 years ago

Since I'm a first time poster to this forum y'all may not give me the time of day. But here goes.....

I purchased about 6 tomato plants of the heirloom type today

Orange oxhart

Mr. Stripy

Black Krim

Old german

and 2 more I can't recall the name of. (after all it's 10:40pm and they are outside on the patio.)

Anyhow, have I chosen well for my SE Texas garden. Other suggestions if you have them. I've NEVER grown anything but hybrids before.

thanks in advance

Patti

Comments (8)

• fusion_power
    19 years ago

They will grow but you will find them a bit unusual with the odd colors. The production of the ones you mention has not been stellar for me though Black Krim is pretty decent.

Arkansas Traveller is a pink tomato with better production than most hybrids.
    Creole is a red tomato with very good heat tolerance.
    Tropic is one of the very best for heat tolerance but is not as good flavored as others.

There are lots of others but just be aware that heat is a tomato's best friend and worst enemy. Once the temp is over 90 degrees, they really suffer.

Fusion

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

Patti,

In addition to what Fusion has shared with you, for fut ure reference I think you'll find lots more TX growers and lots more folks to bounce questions off of if you go to the Tomato Forum, blue link above on this page, where 98% of the time all heirloom tomato varieties are discussed, not here in this heirloom forum, which has a slightly different focus .

See you there.

Carolyn

• jimster
    19 years ago

Patti,

It's interesting to hear that heirloom tomatoes seem to be getting more widely available as plants, and in a wider range of varieties. What sort of store did you buy them from?

Jim

• Singinnana
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Fusion-Power, Carolyn, and Jimster. Thanks for the replys. I do appreciate knowing which forum to address with these heirloom questions. Fusion-power, I know about the heat and believe me when I say that the tomatoes aren't the only ones who suffer LOL. And it may already be late i the game to be setting them out. Jimster, believe it or not I found these heirloom varieties at Houston Plants and Garden. Basically just a chain here in town. But the plants are beautiful. Anyway, thanks for the help and I'll see y'all on the tomatoe (does it have a TOE) forum.

Patti

• kristie8888
    19 years ago

Singinana,
    If I may guess, you bought those plants that said CHEF JEFF on the label? If so, you are in GREAT shape, because they are healthy and some were setting flowers when I bought mine. Don't pinch the flowers like some may suggest just because it is early. Your plants will have plenty of growing time for 4 months were there is no fruit taking up any energy. You will not get any tomatoes in heat of summer unless you are able to get a head start.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    19 years ago

Singinnana,

If Kristie's guess is correct, and you bought Chef Jeff plants, you will love them. I bought some at the Calloway's Nursery in Lewisville, Tx, the last couple of years and this year too. They are very healthy, produced early and produced like crazy all summer long, even in our heat.

Even though I generally raise my own heirlooms from seed, I can't resist if Jeff Chef has one or two that I don't already have. It seems like this year Jeff Chef has even more heirloom varieties than in the past.

Dawn

• yummykaz
    19 years ago

My Cheff Jeff Ark. Traveler is amazing looking now! The Cherokee Purple is not doing great...I never can grow that anyway! Also the Cheff Jeff Rutgers looks great. The Brandywines are slow, but getting there.

• Brenda_S_Powell_lbon_statefarm_com
    12 years ago

Are there heirloom tomatoes that I could now (5/16/11) plant in containers on my patio that gets morning sun from about 7 am til noon? I have had terrific luck with patio tomatoes this year but would like to try heirloom.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County