Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lololauren

Desperately seeking: "Wasatch Beauty" tomato seeds

lolauren
10 years ago

X-post on Growing Tomatoes forum

My grandma-in-law is looking for seeds from the tomato variety she grew up eating, Wasatch Beauty. Her dad was a farmer and only grew that variety. Unfortunately, this isn't an easy seed to find. If anyone has any available, please let me know.

Thank you.

Comments (3)

• carolync1
    10 years ago

Well, you're certainly right about "hard to find". Tatiana's says about it: 70-80 days, indet., regular leaf, 4-8 oz red fruit. Nice flavour, no BER, few splits. Doesn't like heat. 8 lbs/plant.

Gill's All-Purpose is a determinate or semi-determinate descendant of Wasatch Beauty, depending on whose description you believe.

For a similar indeterminate tomato, you might try Rutgers or Thessaloniki. But of course there are many other choices. Victory Seed has several historic commercial tomato varieties you could try to see which comes closest to the one she remembers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gill's All-Purpose

• carolync1
    10 years ago

You might want to post your request on the Tomato Forum, too. Someone called OneOfTheEarls reported plans to grow "Wasatch Beauty Improved" on a different tomato forum. Somebody at the Tomato Forum on GardenWeb might know who this is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Tomatoes Forum

• fusion_power
    10 years ago

it is available at ars-grin if otherwise can't be found.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz