Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itzybitzy_gw

growing Orangeglo and Alibaba

itzybitzy_gw
12 years ago

Any body had succes with this delicious fruit please share you story,tips and pictures I've read on other forums about failed experience gardeners that got me thinking about giving up before trying.

Comments (5)

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

Have not grown Ali Baba, but Orangeglo is as easy as any conventional watermelon. They need sandy soil, space and heat. If you have that, just throw out the seeds and watch them go. Orangeglo has a very tender rind. Not prone to splitting in the patch, but has to be handled very gingerly. Have alot bust when transporting from the patch to the house.
    {{gwi:40834}} {{gwi:14270}}

• itzybitzy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

they look great do they taste as great as they look?wondering what kind of sand you need I have play sand from my kids sand box will this work? I also add mushroom compost and cow manure to my clay soil.

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

Don't add sand to clay or the odds are good that you will get bricks. Watermelons like a light friable soil with depth, that drains well. They also need space, I give each plant 25 30 square feet to grow.
    {{gwi:42584}}

• itzybitzy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's funny and awesome pics.by looking at the soil I'm guessing you live near the coast or maybe just in watermelon heaven.

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

130 miles. Piedmont area is clay. Sandy soils begin at fall line. True also for the Carolinas. These sandhills are good for watermelon, not so good for many crops as it does not retain water.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists