Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing Orangeglo and Alibaba

Posted by Itzybitzy 7NC (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 22, 11 at 0:23

Any body had succes with this delicious fruit please share you story,tips and pictures I've read on other forums about failed experience gardeners that got me thinking about giving up before trying.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing Orangeglo and Alibaba

Have not grown Ali Baba, but Orangeglo is as easy as any conventional watermelon. They need sandy soil, space and heat. If you have that, just throw out the seeds and watch them go. Orangeglo has a very tender rind. Not prone to splitting in the patch, but has to be handled very gingerly. Have alot bust when transporting from the patch to the house.
Orangeglo Orangeglo

o

they look great do they taste as great as they look?wondering what kind of sand you need I have play sand from my kids sand box will this work? I also add mushroom compost and cow manure to my clay soil.

o

Don't add sand to clay or the odds are good that you will get bricks. Watermelons like a light friable soil with depth, that drains well. They also need space, I give each plant 25 30 square feet to grow.
Melon Patch

o

That's funny and awesome pics.by looking at the soil I'm guessing you live near the coast or maybe just in watermelon heaven.

o

130 miles. Piedmont area is clay. Sandy soils begin at fall line. True also for the Carolinas. These sandhills are good for watermelon, not so good for many crops as it does not retain water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here