Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wesley75_gw

Planting Tomatoes...

wesley75
19 years ago

I just picked up some tomato plants from Navlet's today. I just put em into some pots that I had laying around. When I planted em I put the soil in the pots and pushed it down real tight, compacting it in the pot. Then I put the tomato plants in each pot. Now that I think about it, how are the roots going to grow with such compacted soil? Was I suppose to leave the soil somewhat fluffy? I think I screwed up? Does anyone have any info? Thanks alot, John

Comments (4)

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

Does anyone have any info? Thanks alot, John

JOhn,

It would be best if you posted this in the Tomato Forum and the link to that Forum is at the top of this first page.

That's where **culture** of tomatoes and all things tomatoey are discussed, while this Forum would be for finding seeds for some rare variety and the like.

Take a look around the TOmato Forum and you'll see there's an associated Tomato PEst and Disease Forum, a chat area, a seed exchange area and a picture gallery.

And yes, you should leave the artificial mix/soil, whatever you used, fluffy, but don't worry because the tomato roots will push their way thru. ( smile)

See you over in the TOmato Forum for other questions you might have.

Carolyn

• pdxjules
    19 years ago

Tomatoes are pretty tuff - and seem to do well whether planted deep or shallow. But in this case your results can vary alot by what you call _soil_

A light potting mix can take alot of tamping in and still allows drainage and air for roots,
    based on the different sizes & materials
    in the mix.

With unamended garden clay - you may see the poor plant look spindly and struggle. If that is what was used, I'd carefully ease it out, mix in compost, peat & perlite or vermiculite;

and add soil in shifts, tapping the pot firmly on the ground between each shift of soil to reduce chance of air pockets.

Remember that watering requirements for pots will also vary based on depth (10" deep is good for drainage.)
    And materials vary - plastic doesn't dry out as much.

'Maters actually make tastier fruit if a little on the dry side at harvest. No mealiness that way, and less risk of splitting if it rains. Mulch on top of pots to conserve water and reduce further compaction of the soil from top-watering.

Not all varieties require pruning...
    so that can make life easier too.

• Patris
    19 years ago

I'm confused! I thought this forum was for discussion of anything to do with any Heirloom plant or seeds.

Patris

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

I'm confused! I thought this forum was for discussion of anything to do with any Heirloom plant or seeds

When I first came to GW I thought that heirlooms would be discussed here as well, but it turns out that this Forum is really for locating seeds and plants of varieties that a person knows about and is looking for sources.

If you read thru the threads here you'll see that as well.

Heirloom Tomatoes are discussed in the TOmato Forum 99% of the time and since that's where almost all the tomato folks are I and others always suggest to folks who post here to go there as well if it's the greatest amount of input that you want and I assume that most folks would want the most input they can get.

Other veggie/fruit heirlooms are usually discussed in the Vegetable Forum but also here as well sometimes.

And culture and growing methods for veggies/fruits are not part of this forum as you can see from the blurb at the top. Those issues are discussed in the tomto or vegetable or hot pepper or Allium or whatever Forums per the blurbs at the top of those Forums.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations