Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stone Mountain Watermelon

Posted by rodger 8SC (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 07 at 8:48

Now violet before you move this I have reworded it to better fit this forum. I am looking for anyone who may have grown this variety of watermelon it was very popular 40+ years ago. It is a small icebox type red meated. I have had several people ask me about this melon in the past few years and it has prompted me to find it. I did find a dealer in Va. Meridith that still lists it but it has been on back order for over a year. It would be ashame for this variety to be lost. I have checked the last 4 years of SSE annuals but no listings. If someone has older copies could they please check to see when it was listed and maybe have a contact I could get to see if that person still has this variety. I have also sent an e-mail to Glen at Sandhill but this is a busy time and I don't expect a response I may try to call him later this week since he is the curator of the cucibits and melons are his specialty. I will also be attending the 10th annual seed swap in Crawford GA. Sponsered by PASS at the Southern seed Legacy project and will see if anyone there may have seed. Any help from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks Rodger

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stone Mountain Watermelon

Isn't it also called the Dixie Belle?

o
RE: Stone Mountain Watermelon

There have been several versions of the Stone Mountain over the years. The original introduced by Hastings was a large green, white seeds with black tips. A lighter shade an bit more oblong than the Black Diamond that replaced it. This was the one also called Dixie Belle by some seed companies. A good melon that was a mainstay along with Dixie Queen for hill country growers. The only version I can find today is the "icebox" sized version, which is vended by Wetzel out of Harrisonburg, Va. Several retailers do Wetzel seed by mailorder. Among them http://www.merrifieldgardencenter.com/products.php?openparent=1089&pid= http://www.roxburyfarmgarden.com/products.php?openparent=1089&pid=

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here