Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loopi2001_gw

Heirloom Newbie... How To Stop Cross Pollination

Loopi2001
19 years ago

Hi Everyone, this is a great forum. I have always grown your standard garden center veggie varieties, but last year stumbled upon heirlooms.... and I will Never go back! :) I've got some rare seeds coming to me and I want to save them for next years planting, so while Im planning out my garden on paper can anyone give me tips on how to keep these varieties from cross pollinating? I am planting

Tomatos 15 kinds

Eggplant 4 Kinds

Watermelon 4 Kinds (Did you know rareseeds.com has a white fleshed watermelon.. how cool is that!)

Beans, Peas and Radishes.

Any tips or suggestions would be welcome!!!

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• gardenlad
    19 years ago

Best bet, Loopi, is to get a copy of "Seed To Seed," which details precisely how to isolate various types of plants for seed purity.

There are three basic categories of isolation. You can isolate by time, by distance, or by using physical barriers. Sometimes other techniques are needed as well. For instance, you'll have to combine hand-pollinating with physical barriers to keep your watermelon's pure, unless you have a lot of room. If you want to isolate by distance they require a minimum separation of a half mile.

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

I second the recommendation that you get Suzanne Ashworth's book Seed to Seed, and very strongly.

As for tomatoes, for kind of instant input , go to the Tomato Forum,link above on this first page, click on the FA Q's and near the bottom you'll find a brand new FAQ on how to save seed from tomatoes.

And yes, there are several white fleshed watermelons that have been around for a long time. ( smile)

For any of us here to type out all that you need to know about saving seed for all those veggies is just not practicable in my opinion, so do consider getting Ashworth's book.

Carolyn

• Loopi2001
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you Carolyn and Gardenlad! I am ordering a copy of that book as we speak. 1/2 a mile is pretty far to walk when you want to check on each plant LOL! There is so much info out there a straightfordward book seems to be just what I need. Thanks guys, your help is much appreciated!

Lisa