Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gomanson

A few Questions....

gomanson
14 years ago

Hello, It's been a busy spring and I haven't had the time to look this stuff up, so I figured it would be a simple thing for some GardenWeb gurus to answer!

1. Do peas and beans cross pollinate? I have heirloom varieties of both and am wondering if I should plant them on different sides of the house or bag them.

2. Does anyone have any Lactuca sativa "Tennis Ball" seeds they could send or trade? It's the only thing I'm missing for this year's garden, and with shipping it ends up being at least $10 anywhere online.

3. All of the focus in books and websites on seed saving relates to vegetables and fruits. Can I save seeds from herbs and flowers as well, or are some of these hybrids? I collected seed from cillantro last year and they germinated (yet to see what they turn out to be). Can I do the same with chives, sweet Italian basil, and dill? Do I have to watch for cross pollination with any local weeds?

Comment (1)

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Species do not cross naturally. There are a lot of plants called beans and quite a few called peas so you really have to know your species. Common beans are Phaseolous Vulgaris. They do very little crossing even among themselves. English peas, snap peas, and snow peas are Pisum sativum. They don't cross with anything else. Southern peas, Yardlong beans are vigna unguiculata. Runner beans are Phaseolus coccineus. There are several more exotic species of "beans"