Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tkopari

Source of Egyptian Walking Onion seed?

tkopari
17 years ago

Does anyone know of a source for Egyptian Walking Onion seed? I have bulbs on order for late Summer, but I'd like to get some started now.

Thanks!

Tony

Comments (4)

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

Walking onions do not form true seed, even though they will get a few blossoms. They grow "topsets" instead, a cluster of bulbils at the top of the stalk where the seeds would normally be. Those mature in late summer, hence the requirement to ship in Fall.

Egyptian onions also multiply from the base, so you might be able to get a start in the spring from someone who has plants.

• tkopari
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks zeedman!

I guess I will change my request from seed to starts.

• jenniesue
    17 years ago

mountain valley growers carries this and says its in stock. i don't know anything about the company but i had bookmarked it when i was looking for walking onions. southern exposure seed exchange had some avaliable for spring shipping, but I think they've run out.

Here is a link that might be useful: egyptian walking onion

• virgiebaby165
    17 years ago

On the Allium Forum, I was lucky to receive some Egyptian Walking Onion sets from a gentleman known as Martin (GW Name: paquetbotZ4BW)in January of this year for postage. I just planted some outside this past week and plan to do more in another week. Do check out that forum.

Ginny B.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions