Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kansasapple

Fulton or Fulton Strawberry Apple

kansasapple
13 years ago

I've been looking for two old family apples for years - the Fulton (or Fulton County) Apple and the Fulton Strawberry Apple. Both were grown by Isaac Bowen Essex in 1827 and sold to an orchardist in Fulton County, Illinois where they aquired their names. Isaac is my ancestor and I would love to save these trees from extinction - has anyone ever heard of these trees? Thanks, Rick Godsil - owner of Wagon Wheel Orchard, Gardner, Kansas.

Comments (5)

• herbalbetty
    13 years ago

We just bought a Strawberry Apple tree this year from Stark Bros. I don't know if it is the same one you are looking for, as there was no mention of Fulton.

• mistercross
    13 years ago

They are not listed in "Apples of New York" (vol. 1, 1905), which can be viewed on Google Books.

There is an All About Apples web site which only lists one orchard in Fulton County, but they are not complete. (I checked my state.) On their "varieties" list page there are half a dozen with "strawberry" in the name, but the ones which list an origin are different. But they also have a "forums" page which includes a "varieties" forum where you might ask.

• kansasapple
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've had no trouble finding mention of these apples. Bailey's Cyclopedia of Horticulture, Prairie Farmer 1847, Nomenclature of the Apple by Ragan, Illinois Ag dept has listings from 1855 thru 1885 at least, The Illinois Farmer 1862, Kansas State Hort Soc 1881 plus numerous others, Downing mentions them in The Horticulturist 1856. One article in Ohio stated that the apple was so famous they didn't need to bother with describing it. Amazing how these once common applea have disappeared.

• kansasapple
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to everyone who has helped me look for this long lost apple. I would like to specifically thanks Austin Jones and Nick Botner as they sent me a stick of this variety (hidden under a syn. for years) that arrived yesterday. This means a great deal to my family.

• Sarah Clinebell
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hello. I know this is a longshot since this was posted 10 years ago, but am related Isaac Essex as well. Do you happen to have any pictures of this apple? I would love to see it.

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x