Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Does anyone take care of an Heirloom Garden?

jacqueline9CA
13 years ago

I am wondering if anyone has inherited, purchased, or is otherwise the caretaker/restorer of an entire heirloom garden. Most of the posts on this forum seem to deal with specific heirloom plants, which is great.

However, I have been living in a house since 1989 that has been in my DH's family since it was new in 1905. The garden was mostly planted by his great grandfather and grandparents, from 1905 through the early 1960s. After that it was a rental until we moved in, and got only minimal care. The good news is that we are in a benign climate, and most of the garden survived. I figure I have a garden full of plants that are not fussy, because any plant that was fussy has died! I have been having fun trying to identify the old roses (over 60 when we moved in, of course I have planted more...), Iris, large bushes, other bulbs that come up, etc. etc.

Is anyone else dealing with an entire garden full of heirloom plants? Just thought it would be fun to compare notes -

Jackie

Comments (2)

• SYinUSA, GA zone 8
    12 years ago

Well, the plants are few and far between, but the ones I do have are profuse and beautiful! I'm in a similar situation - our 1905 home was in the same family from the 1920s until 2004. I was fortunate enough to talk to a man that grew up in the house, and he told me that his grandmother was the gardener in the family. She died in 1943, so my roses and irises are at least that old! He said that as a kid he hated mowing around the roses and tried his darnedest to kill them, so I know they're hardy and carefree! The only other things that I've been able to identify are grape hyacinths and pachysandra, both of which are a little invasive around here and weren't necessarily planted on purpose. I actually just took some pictures today. I think the white roses are sombreuil climbing roses (though they don't have anything to climb on), but I don't know what the pinks are.

Pink bush in situ:
    {{gwi:265586}}

In a bouquet:

White (sombreuil?) climbing rose form:

White rose flowers:
    {{gwi:265588}}

Irises:

• ademink
    12 years ago

I believe the iris are 'Indian Chief'. I have some from my great grandmother that were passed on to me. :) I believe they are from Ayers - 1929.

Here is a link that might be useful: history

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus