Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dons916

X Pollinating

dons916
11 years ago

From what I have read and try to stick to this is.To keep a heirloom (tom) from X pollinating is to keep them 20 ft apart.This yr I wont be able to do this as I now have 11 verities.
Have you heard of putting a nylon over the blossen and as soon as it sets fruit you can take it off,then mark it as this will be your seed tom.
I need to find out something. I sure don't want lose the ones I have.
If you know of another way let me know.
Thanks Don in Ca.

Comment (1)

• carolync1
    10 years ago

For most home growers, "bagging" tomato flowers to keep insects from visiting them is fine (won't work for many other plants that require cross-pollination). You probably don't want to choose flowers which are intermingled with flowers of another tomato variety, but 20 ft. of separation should not be necessary.

I have used the little nylon net circles used to make wedding favors. You can get them at WalMart or party shops. A nylon stocking may also work as long as it doesn't heat up your flowers too much. You might want to ask for people's experiences at the Tomato Forum. Maybe you could title your post "preventing cross-pollination" or something similar so people don't think you're goal is creating a new hybrid.