Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
X Pollinating

Posted by dons916 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 15:55

From what I have read and try to stick to this is.To keep a heirloom (tom) from X pollinating is to keep them 20 ft apart.This yr I wont be able to do this as I now have 11 verities.
Have you heard of putting a nylon over the blossen and as soon as it sets fruit you can take it off,then mark it as this will be your seed tom.
I need to find out something. I sure don't want lose the ones I have.
If you know of another way let me know.
Thanks Don in Ca.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: X Pollinating

For most home growers, "bagging" tomato flowers to keep insects from visiting them is fine (won't work for many other plants that require cross-pollination). You probably don't want to choose flowers which are intermingled with flowers of another tomato variety, but 20 ft. of separation should not be necessary.

I have used the little nylon net circles used to make wedding favors. You can get them at WalMart or party shops. A nylon stocking may also work as long as it doesn't heat up your flowers too much. You might want to ask for people's experiences at the Tomato Forum. Maybe you could title your post "preventing cross-pollination" or something similar so people don't think you're goal is creating a new hybrid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here