Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fran_always

Landreth having first heirloom plant sale in Baltimore

fran_always
19 years ago

I was visiting the Landreth Seed Company website for the first time and thought someone here might be interested. They are having their first annual sidewalk sale of heirloom plants.

This is what it says: "We will also be hosting our First Annual Vintage and Heirloom Plants Sidewalk Sale, May 21-22. This sale will have vintage and heirloom flowers, vegetables and herbs, most of which have never been offered for sale as plants. We would love to see you there."

Here is a link that might be useful: Landreth seeds website

Comments (10)

• cecilia_md7a
    19 years ago

Thanks for mentioning this. I can't believe it - an interesting plant event taking place right in my neck of the woods! I'll mark my calendar.

• jimster
    19 years ago

Landreth has a very interesting history as the oldest seed house in the U.S. Washingtom and Jefferson bought seeds from them. I believe the present owners are not descendents of the Landreths, but they are making a valiant attempt to carry on the traditions.

I ordered many of my seeds from them this year and was very pleased with what I received. I have been getting tired of the tiny fraction of a gram packaged by many seed companies these days. They package in several sizes, so it is very economical if you want an ounce or so instead of a packet.

Jim

• sunsi
    19 years ago

Luck for those who live so close as I would certain love to attend that.

• mindsmile
    19 years ago

All I get is=Account for domain landrethseeds.com has been suspended.
    I did see a 1932 Landreth catalog listed on the E-bay site.
    Bill

• jimster
    18 years ago

mindsmile,

Try again. It comes right up for me.

Jim

• cecilia_md7a
    18 years ago

The sale is this weekend!

Here is the text of the flyer that Landreth enclosed with their mail-order catalog. It includes a list of the plants they will be offering:

You are Invited To
    The D. Landreth Seed Company's 1st Annual Heirloom & Vintage Plants Sidewalk Sale
    Saturday-Sunday May 21-22, 2005
    8:00AM - 7: 00 PM
    650 N. North Point Road
    At the corner of Quad Avenue and North Point Road
    Baltimore, MD 21237

Plants for Sale at Sidewalk Sale
    $1.75 per plant, 3 for $5.00, 5 for $7.50, 10 for $12.50

VEGETABLES
    Artichoke: Imperial Star
    Broccoli: Romanesco
    Cauliflower: Broccoverde, Violeta Italia
    Cucumber: Boothby's Blonde, Lemon, Mexican Sour Gherkin
    Eggplant: Fairytale, Louisiana Long Green, Rosa Bianca, Thai Green Pea, Turkish Egg Orange
    Melon: Boule D'Or, Eden's Gem, Noir Des Carmes, Queen Anne's Pocket, Minnesota Midget, Vert Grimnpant
    Pepper: Candy Bar, Chervena Chujski, Mini Chocolate, Mini Red, Mini Yellow
    Pumpkin: Cheyenne Bush, Dill's Atlantic Giant
    Squash: Gold Rush, Lemon, Ponca Butternut
    Tomato: Czech's Bush, Cream Sausage, Gold Nugget, Golden Roma, Green Sausage, Mortgage Lifter, Nebraska Wedding, Orange Banana, Red Grape, Russian Black, Russian Persimmon, Silvery Fir Tree, Striped Roman, White Wonder
    Watermelons: Moon & Stars, Golden Midget, Orange Glo
    HERBS
    Basil: Lime, Dark Purple Opal, Dwarf Greek
    Catmint
    Oregano: Greek
    Parsley: Italian Giant
    Rosemary
    FLOWERS
    Chrysanthemum: Court Jester, Painted Daisy
    Four O'Clock: Broken Colors
    Marigold: Jolly Jester
    Rudbeckia: Cherokee Sunset, Maya
    Sunflower: Red Sun, Teddy Bear
    Sweet Pea: Annie Gilroy, Blanche Ferry, Flora Norton, King Edward VII, Leamington
    Zinnia: Canary Bird, Oriole, Polar Bear, Royal Purple, Will Rogers

• fran_always
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cecilia, did you go the sale? What did you get?
    I am still pondering whatever it makes sense to drive 5 hours (2 1/2 each way) to get a few seedlings. But, when gardening, a lot doesn't make sense, does it?

Let me know how much there is and how nice it all is. That may convince me to go. LOL
    Francoise

• fran_always
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, until 11.30 AM I was undecided and then, all of a sudden, I decided to go to the Landreth plant sale. And I am glad I did. After a 2 1/2 hour drive and a bit of driving around the neighbourhood, we made it. The sale was in a nice grassy area in front of the building. Of course, by then, my puppy was ready to move around a bit. I wasn't sure if I could bring her to romp in between the stands, but a nice lady who happened to be sitting there immediately welcomed us and even offered some water for the thirsty pooch. I asked the lady if we were very far from the harbour where I thought I could go and spend the rest of the afternoon. The lady told me that she had to go into that direction and that she could take me there as soon as I was ready to go.

The whole place, although small, looked very cheery, like a party. I didn't know there was a lobby in the building that we could visit. I'll have to go in next year.

I picked up 21 plants and some seeds. I was very pleased to find the melon Noir des Carmes and the Golden Midget watermelon. Got some Calabrese broccoli, Broccoverde cauliflower, Mexican sour gherkin cukes, 2 varieties of red lettuce, Minnesota Midget melon, a Fairytale eggplant (anyone knows if it an OP? It's a 2005 AAS winner), and a little Thai green pea eggplant.

The same lady asked me how I knew about the sale. I said I saw it on their website and posted it here on GW for all to see. She said there had been other customers who mentioned an internet site, so I guess it was you, Cecilia, who must have gone. She also said the sale went very well and they'll have it again next year.

As we were leaving I asked the lady if she was the owner and she said yes. Barb, if you read this, I was very pleased to meet you. You've done a terrific job. And thanks for taking me to the harbor. We had a very nice day.
    Francoise

• cecilia_md7a
    18 years ago

Hi, Francoise - Sounds like you got yourself almost an entire veggie garden's worth of plants at the sale!

I went to there with a couple of friends on Saturday morning. I only bought a few things, as I have already planted my most of my veggies and annuals. I picked up three different colors of giant zinnias, some "Cherokee Sunset" rudbeckia, and some purple Opal basil. I thought that although there wasn't a huge selection of plants, it was an interesting selection, and everything appeared to be healthy. This was Landreth's first sidewalk sale - perhaps next year's will be bigger.

P.S. - I'm growing Fairytale eggplant this year, and it is a hybrid, not OP.

• jimster
    18 years ago

Nice reports, gals. You confirm my impression, having dealt with them by phone and mail, that it is a friendly place run by folks who are providing good products at good value for the money..

Jim