Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have a tomato plant named 'italian heirloom' but I can't

Posted by ryanx115 z9 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 24, 06 at 16:33

find any information on it. There seems to be several varieties of italian heirloom tomatoes, but none that are actually called "italian heirloom". Was it mislabeled or is it not very popular? Has anyone ever grown this before? It was described as an extremely prolific plant with red tomatoes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have a tomato plant named 'italian heirloom' but I can't

There is a tomato listed by this name, in the 2006 Seed Savers Exchange yearbook. The descriptions by the two folk who list it are as follows:

80 days (to ripe fruit), plants were loaded with medium to large fruits, full abundant flavor, did very well in western Montana garden, good canning tomato, from IA SSE HF

80 days plants bear an abundance of huge fruit, fantastic flavor

Where did you get your seed? This could be it, though it's also possible that it's another tomato. My bet is that you have the same one described in the SSE Yearbook.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

I got heirloom seeds labels 'Italian'. I've been wondering about them too... I sampled the tomato last year and loved it, then was given the seeds. Like you I see the other Italian varieties and not plain Italian. I would like to know more.

o

This tomato can be ordered through Burpee --- it is known as thei "Big Mama" --- I also save this seed from year to year as we have grown them for generations known as the "Italian tomato" ---- they are GREAT for canning --- virtually no seeds!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here