Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madspinner

help me find old iris

madspinner
19 years ago

I'm looking for sources for old fashioned varities of iris. I have lots of modern ones, and while nice, they are not as graceful in my mind as the simpler ones. I would love to find sites where older ones (preferably named) could be purchased.

Or if someone has some (named or not) that they will be dividing this year I'd love to pay postage for some. I only have one older type of bearded iris in my garden... and I miss the colors and scents they provide.

-Colette

Comments (10)

• azureus
    19 years ago

I like Argyle Acres in Texas. They have many old, named varieties and have good photos on their site. I do have one vintage purple variety from a friend's grandmother's garden that I will be dividing this summer. The flowers have a distinct grapejuice scent. I would be willing to share some.

April

Here is a link that might be useful: Argyle Acres

• cecilia_md7a
    19 years ago

Have you visited the website of the Historic Iris Preservation Society? They provide a listing of commercial sources for older iris plants (including Argyle Acres!).

You might try searching abandoned homesteads and ask for divisions from gardeners who live in older neighborhoods of your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: HIPS website

• madspinner
    Original Author
    19 years ago

April-

How funny, one of my best friends lives in texas, and her name is April.

Yes, I'd love to have some of your iris. Let me know when you are going to divide them and I'll send you some postage.

I'll try to look at the other sites here soon as well, they sound like promising places!

• ceresone
    19 years ago

this post makes me feel guilty. i've spent hundreds of dollars on new varities, all the while ignoring all the old ones i pitched out, even tho they're blooming happily where they fell-- i just go pick them when i want a good smelling iris-- theres white, beautiful perfumed, and the "walbash" just to name a few

• Soeur
    19 years ago

Check out Iris City Gardens (link below). One of the owners' grandfather was an iris breeder in Nashville many decades ago when this area was the focus of American iris breeding. They have a large number of heirloom tall bearded iris, some dating back 200 years.

Soeur

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris City Gardens

• rockymountainiris
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I have many old fashion irises. I know the names of some of them and some I don't. I would be interested in exchanging them for some of your modern ones. I can send you some photos of mine. What ones do you have? I have one that is dark purple that really smells nice.
    Jeanne

• rockymountainiris
    16 years ago

I listed some old fashioned irises on ebay. If you want to see some of the ones I have, check it out. My ebay name is dirtgenie. You can find them by searching for old fashion iris. I have these to swap and some others I didn't list this time.

• pacnwgrdngirl
    16 years ago

Hello! I got all of mine on eBay. They are great. Most of mine came from an old plantation in Mississippi. I have about six different colors and types. I agree, although the new ones (which I have a lot of) are nice, I just love the old heirloom ones the best! Mine are not quite ready for dividing yet. I just planted them last summer. I have a whole bed of old-fashioned yellow iris blooming right now that is just beautiful. Here's a link to pics of my iris. Don't be afraid of eBay! I get most of my stuff there and everything has grown wonderfully in my garden!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Album

• iacche
    16 years ago

I have a slightly related question:

I have pale blue irises that have a soft but sweet scent. They were here when we bought the house. Is there any way for me to find out what kind they are?

• suenh
    16 years ago

The iris board here has a lot of heirloom iris fans. More than I think modern iris fans.

I have lots of them and love them best.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES