Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beansidhe_gw

Boody Butcher Corn

beansidhe
18 years ago

I live in a zone 4 area. I am going to be planting Bloody Butcher Corn seeds. Has anybody grown them and what can i expect. Thanks

Comments (4)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

I live in a zone 4 area. I am going to be planting Bloody Butcher Corn seeds. Has anybody grown them and what can i expect. Thanks

You're going to be pushing it trying to grow this 100-120 day dent corn in a zone 4. But you know your area best.

It's one of the more well known heirloom type corns, mostly b/c of the name.

Most folks get 10-12 foot stalks when grown in warmer zones,2 reddish ears per stalk, lovely red kernels.

Being a dent corn it's for show only unless you plan to make red cornmeal. it can be eaten at the blister stage but if one wanted an eating corn I think they'd plant other varieties.

I do hope you can get it to mature in your area. If it's feasible perhaps you can start some inside but remember that you have to have quite a stand of corn planted in block fashion to get decent pollination.

Carolyn

• spyfferoni
    18 years ago

I purchased some Painted Mountain Corn that is supposed to be an Ultra Early flour corn at 85 days. Maybe you should look into something like that for your growing season. I am growing it for ornamental corn and will try to grind some flour with it.
    Good luck!
    Spyff

• bill_southerncal
    18 years ago

I bought a couple of ears of Bloody Butcher corn at the Farmer's Market last year. It was beautiful, it had a nice firm texture, but it didn't taste as good as it looked. It's like other things that are striking in appearance but has little taste, i.e. Kiwano (horned) melon, white carrots, etc..

• perrylawrence
    18 years ago

I concur with the other replies - planted some a couple of years ago to try - it was a lousy eating corn - not really great as a novelty corn - don't make corn meal - the birds and chipmunks liked it tho............ perry

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling