Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bagins

seed bank formed

bagins
18 years ago

we formed a seed bank called ogseedbank. the site is http://ogseedbank.proboards55.com/index.cgi

we hope to be afiliated with organ magazine shortly. to join all you have to do is forum at organic gardening then join our site. it cost nothing. we formed this site as a place we can get our heirloom seeds that are grown organically. come take a look.

bagins

Comments (6)

• seamommy
    17 years ago

I think tthis is a great idea and I will be looking into it very soon. Cheryl

• docmom_gw
    17 years ago

I don't know if you are aware, but there already are at least a few, if not more, excellent seed banks. Seed Savers Exchange in particular comes to my mind. They have thousands of members and many thousands of varieties of heirloom vegetables. They have a separate but connected organization for heirloom flowers. I would think your wonderful energy would be better spent supporting a group that is already established rather than re-inventing what has been in place for many years. If you have some objection to these other organizations, and feel you need to start your own, please disregard this post and good luck in your endeavors.
    Martha

• carolyn137
    17 years ago

In addition there are many seed sites that already sell organically grown seed.

And what is your connection to Organic Magazine that you speak of? I do know the organization and was asked to present a many day seminar on heirloom tomatoes and I can't quite see them setting up a site to sell organic seed of anything.

But quite frankly, other than someone having a general personal philosophy about organicness, which I can understand, organic seeds aren't going to perform any differently from non-organically grown seed.

What's important is growing the tomato PLANTS organically b'c it's the fruits that are important.

Several years ago I contacted several seed physiologists and there is no evidence whatsoever that anything that might be used in growing tomatoes non-organically enters the endosperm of the seed.

I grow as organically as I can but it really bothers me that so many seed sites charge more for such seed, at least most do, when there is really no justification for that that I can readily accept.

Carolyn

• scandia
    17 years ago

What about Heirloom Flowers???? Are there any Seed Banks for that???

• soil_lover
    17 years ago

This seed bank has NOTHING to do with Organic Gardening magizine, NOR Rodale. It was started by some lady who uses the OG forums and trades seeds. Her requirement is that you join the OG forums. I for one feel she is using the name of Rodale for her own benefit. Plus, the way I see it run, it is not a ligitimate business. People mail seeds to the seed bank and if you need some, request it. I see no quality control
    in place, just blind faith as to what you get. And I am pretty sure that the lady who started this does not grow out the seeds. I guess if you want swome free seeds, join. But otherwise if you are particular about what you get, stick with someone who is reputable.

• soil_lover
    17 years ago

Seed Savers Exchange has a members only exchange for heirloom seeds. Or you can get a good variety through their catalog.